Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pinkish red shading to gold tiger eye with hematite banding  (Read 3583 times)

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
Re: Pinkish red shading to gold tiger eye with hematite banding
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 07:24:42 AM »

Too funny!  I had just read the "topgems" article too!  And it is actually from him that I got the material, many years ago.  I think he must have bought up a selection of material way back when.  I will have to take a picture.  It does have many more of the colors than the pieces for sale on the other site.  When I see the pieces on the other site is an example of what makes me confused.  If those particular pieces came into my hands I would evaluate that to be tiger-eye, not Marra Mamba.  So in the case of those two pounds, what is different?

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 01:20:58 PM »

Bearing in mind that I have zero idea what I am talking about, it seems to be the color combinations and local.  Look at this guys page (hopefully you can).  He says it generally contains hematite and all the cabs he has posted have ALL the colors in one cab, not a little red and a little gold, or like a Hawk's Eye combination of blue and gold.  I for one, in my limited exposure to Tiger's Eye and Hawk's eye, have not seen all of these color combinations in one piece of rough, and the red that I have seen has been treated material, for the most part.

https://www.pinterest.com/gemstonecabs/marra-mamba-tigereye/

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »

So to summarize it, I for one, clearly have no clue but it's fun googling all of these material and seeing what comes up.

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »

Hey Gina!   Someday we have to get together for coffee!!   (I don't drink coffee, so I'll bring a soda.   :LOLOL:)   I'm soooo glad you posted that second link, yeppers, Marra Mamba.   So I still don't really know why those pound pieces of Marra Mamba don't look right to me, but oh well, maybe those are not the best of the best??    I've had my piece for many years and never cut from it.   Topgems sent me what I would call an end cut off with the face polished, and I have never wanted to mess it up!!   But I could cut from one end........      :glasses9:
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 33 queries.