Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amber, how do you [polish it from rough  (Read 239 times)

55fossil

Amber, how do you [polish it from rough
« on: October 21, 2023, 10:20:38 AM »

I was gifted a large (golf ball size) piece of Amber. It is a blood red when you shine a light through it. Not gin clear but a beautiful rich color. So, what is the best way to polish Amber? I want to leave one side natural and get rid of ll the rough outer edges. I do not want to just smear it with oil and call a poor finish good. I see that on a lot of internet post where they just get a smooth but not polished surface on their amber and then oil it.
    So, wet or dry polish?
    Can you polish it with a machine using diamond or Silicon Carbide?
    Any tips are appreciated. If you have actually polished some Amber and got a really nice finish on it, I would really like to hear about how you did it.

thanks

christos

• Lithon Choros- Λίθων Χορός
  • Love will save humanity
Re: Amber, how do you [polish it from rough
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 12:02:31 PM »

I was gifted a large (golf ball size) piece of Amber. It is a blood red when you shine a light through it. Not gin clear but a beautiful rich color. So, what is the best way to polish Amber? I want to leave one side natural and get rid of ll the rough outer edges. I do not want to just smear it with oil and call a poor finish good. I see that on a lot of internet post where they just get a smooth but not polished surface on their amber and then oil it.
    So, wet or dry polish?
    Can you polish it with a machine using diamond or Silicon Carbide?
    Any tips are appreciated. If you have actually polished some Amber and got a really nice finish on it, I would really like to hear about how you did it.

thanks
Amber is hardened sap. high heat may cloud it and crack it since its fragile molecularly. . I never worked on amber  but i would do everything by hand using sandpaper . silicon carbide doesnt sound right but who knows.
ΔΙΑς ΖΕΥς ΕΛ ΛΑς  -
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 28 queries.