Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Civilizing Influence  (Read 3647 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Civilizing Influence
« on: December 22, 2016, 06:32:28 PM »

I'm just a year into my exploration of pottery and I was just thinking about how much more civilized people in the pottery world expect me to be than the folks in the stone world.  I was considered a bit of a wild man in the stone world and that was ok. I really didn't have to moderate my behavior. In the pottery world I severely moderate my behavior and I'm still considered a wild man.  Virtually uncivilizable.  But they tolerate me.  Its lots of fun. 

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: Civilizing Influence
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 07:02:50 PM »

very nice!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »

Frank, what one person considers civilized, another person considers a heathen - it's all subjective and a matter of perception.
That said, we love you just the way you are.   :thumbsup: 
As far as I see it, if you want to be who you are, and someone else doesn't like it, well they can just go bugger off...

I love your  pottery.  I like the experimentation you have been doing with the glazes.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 05:37:46 AM »

Let he who is without fault cast the first pot. . . or something like that.  First off I like your pottery creations.  As to your post, are you saying the pottery world is more civilized and or more expecting for its members to be?  I'd guess that the world of stone is a broader one.  I've played in both sand boxes, and indeed felt more self-conscious when working with pottery (i.e that I was out of my league, but then again it was a hobby attempted early in my retirement versus lapidary which came on a bit later when I was more settled into the comfortable lap of retirement.  Clay is just a process that starts out smoother and hence usually goes faster.  Cheers for the holidays. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 07:03:20 AM »

I like the colors you're using in your pieces.  Very nice.

Most (not all) potters tend to think of themselves more as "arteests".  There's a certain snobbery involved once you become an "arteest".  You, sir, will never acquire the snob factor.  It's just not you.

Rock people - well, we dig in the dirt.  'Nuf said.   :toothy12:

Merry Christmas!
Robin

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 07:08:40 AM »

Who have you been listening to?????   I may lose business over saying this, but....  many free thinking liberals like myself do not put labels on other people. Much of my cabochon work is considered too ethereal for the general public but I consider that high praise. Being called wild is okay as long as they do not shun you. Your pottery work would be considered quite normal in Portland, Oregon. They make a lot of damn good hand made pottery out there. keep it up,  neal

ToTheSummit

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 08:01:27 AM »

In the words of Supertramp; better watch what you say, they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, a fanatical criminal.
Snobby potters wouldn't know a good time if it bit 'em in the ass!
 :toothy10:

And Frankly (pun intended) I consider you a pretty damn talented 'arteest' no matter what medium you work in!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 08:26:03 AM »

Thanks folks for the compliments. You will never get the rocks out of me but this year I will get the rocks in the pottery. I am building a large soda kiln and a high fire , cone 10, raku kiln to do traditional Japanese red and black tea ceremony work but with glazes made from rocks here in Washington. The soda kiln is basically a way to help out young potters here on the island who can not afford their own soda kiln yet make a modest living renting space in others kilns. My idea is to use my skills  in construction to build the kiln with them helping and learning and for them to teach me how to fire it while only charging them for their share of the propane costs not for traditional kiln space rent which aims to pay amortization costs as well. I will be pushing them hard to estimate their savings and put that money away in either an ira or toward their own kilns. My kiln will be so heavily insulated that the propane costs will be 1/4 of the propane costs they are now paying per cubic foot. I want the soda kiln to play with but also to make vapor glazed weather resistant flower pots  a real passion of mine. This will be a very exciting year.

GoodEarth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 01:08:43 PM »

I most certainly would not want Frank to cast the first pot! His bowls could kill a horse! Aside from the fact that I have been forced to reinforce my cabinet shelves with steel plate to hold the weight, I also love the glaze work that you have been doing. It's been really fun to follow along at slightly greater than throwing distance, and watch the progression of your ideas.

I am really, really, really hoping to have the privilege to be included on the kiln structure design team. My particular art is expressed best on large structures, and I'm itching to make something after more than a year of sitting still.

See you soon Frank! (as soon as your arm gets tired from holding that bowl to throw at me!)
PNW Rough Rock including
Olympic Poppy Jasper

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 06:39:40 PM »

Now that sounds like a wonderful endeavor and I hope you keep us updated on your progress on the kiln building as it goes along.  Sounds like tons of fun (and a whole lotta work) and a truly generous opportunity for your community!   :notworthy:
Robin

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 09:09:14 PM »

Two kiln sheds and a small studio and your invited. Each shed should be quite different as one is in a garden built for it and the other is essentially going to be one of the living spaces of the house. Let me know when you can come over Josh.

Rustycat

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 09:03:33 AM »

I'm just a year into my exploration of pottery and I was just thinking about how much more civilized people in the pottery world expect me to be than the folks in the stone world.  I was considered a bit of a wild man in the stone world and that was ok. I really didn't have to moderate my behavior. In the pottery world I severely moderate my behavior and I'm still considered a wild man.  Virtually uncivilizable.  But they tolerate me.  Its lots of fun.

Hi Lithic,
I wanted to ask your opinion on using the rock slurry from a saw (using mineral oil) as a glaze for pottery.  I have collected a number of gallons of the stuff that I've retrieved what oil I can from, and wondered if I should offer it  to a potter with the recommendation that it should fire and work.  I guess it would be black, as it is mainly from beach cobbles here in the Sound.
Regards, and Happy 4th of July.

ileney

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »

I don’t consider myself qualified to judge what is or isn’t “civilized,” but those are beautiful pieces!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 52 queries.