Lapidaryforum.net

Rockin' Jewelry => Show and Tell!!!! => Topic started by: MurphyStone on July 18, 2016, 05:36:51 AM

Title: My first silver work
Post by: MurphyStone on July 18, 2016, 05:36:51 AM
Well my first three silver pieces turned out pretty well I am happy with them.  Being self taught I am guessing I am making mistakes or doing stuff wrong.  Any suggestions for a book or instructional DVD on silversmithing.

Also what about torch heads, I am using the just acetylene smiths torch, the head on it is a 01-180 I am thinking I should have a 0 or 00? 

Thanks
 

Title: Re: My first silver work
Post by: Jhon P on July 18, 2016, 07:30:20 AM
Very nice. Good job for your first pieces.
You may look at Silver Spectrum by John Michael  and the complete metal smith by Tim McCreight
Title: Re: My first silver work
Post by: Orrum on July 18, 2016, 10:18:05 AM
Yes you need a wide selection of tips. Acetylene is good too.
Title: Re: My first silver work
Post by: irockhound on July 18, 2016, 12:43:46 PM
I use the Smith Acetylene and air torch and an 00, 0, 2 and 4 tips.  I have the 0 and 00 tips on 90% of the time since they are perfect for pendants and rings that don't have enough mass to need the bigger tips.  Nice work for your first attempts.  A tip on the bails, make sure the size of bail is strong enough for the weight of the pendant, I have seen small jump rings wear almost thru from chain friction and then the repair can be a pain.
Title: Re: My first silver work
Post by: MurphyStone on July 19, 2016, 07:21:26 AM
I use the Smith Acetylene and air torch and an 00, 0, 2 and 4 tips.  I have the 0 and 00 tips on 90% of the time since they are perfect for pendants and rings that don't have enough mass to need the bigger tips.  Nice work for your first attempts.  A tip on the bails, make sure the size of bail is strong enough for the weight of the pendant, I have seen small jump rings wear almost thru from chain friction and then the repair can be a pain.

Thanks, yes the bails have been my arch enemy,  I tried to do them different more creative, after 5 hours of failures and pickles, i opted to grab the 5.5mm jump rings.  Thanks i'll be sure to shore up the potential weakness in the future.    Sounds like I have the same torch with the single "B" tank.  I'll order some smaller tips with my next Rio order. 

Title: Re: My first silver work
Post by: Jhon P on July 19, 2016, 10:57:20 AM
A simple bail, use a low dome half round wire. Roll a loop and file the angle so it fits neatly, I use a larger round nose pliers and solder the flat side to the back of the bezel and i solder the loop together
Title: Re: My first silver work
Post by: zurn on August 04, 2016, 12:45:29 PM
nice work
I like the way you left the green chatoyant cab open on one side
nice touch
I'm kinda struggling with soldering very inconsistent
maybe i should get a Smith gas /air as well
I'm using the little torch acetylene
by the way what is that green chatoyant stone
I just got a parcel of slabs and one of them was the same as you have there
again nice work
Anthony
Title: Re: My first silver work
Post by: Jhon P on August 04, 2016, 03:04:57 PM
Clear creek california jadeite with a lot of the crystal jadeite.
When soldering I heat the whole piece evenly, always keep the torch moving and find the sweet spot In The flame for the best heat. Sometimes I use a wire rack and heat from the bottom.  I will still melt a bezel wire once in a while if I get in a hurry
You can make the bail the same way with the same silver you use for the bezel. I will use scrap pieces an cut it to shape and bend a loop and leave a tail to solder to the bezel back or you can leave enough metal on the bezel back and cut to snap and roll a loop for a bail. I get lazy and use the low dome wire   It's easier. Maybe some one else can explain soldering better than I did. Rio grande has instruction videos that may help. If you can see it done it may help
Title: Re: My first silver work
Post by: zurn on August 05, 2016, 11:52:20 AM
I made a couple bezels this morning
Both came out pretty good
I think I was rushing it
Little patience goes a long way

Thanks John