Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to ToTheSummit and his Condor Cab!

 www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filtering oil  (Read 1235 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

drnihili

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 209
Filtering oil
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:24:06 AM »

It seems like the standard advice is to run rock snot (thanks for that, Itsandbits) through a double layer of paper bags.  Not having many of those handy, and having other uses for them (herb drying), I decided to try a coffee filter in a funnel.  It seems to work, but is ssssllllllloooooooooowwwwwww.  Has anyone tried using 10" grease filter cones such as those they use to filter fryer oil?  Would a synthetic filter work, or is paper de rigeur?  Any other thoughts or recommendations?
Logged


PhilNM

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 336
Re: Filtering oil
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 11:08:48 AM »

Paper bags are free at the market, just ask for double bagging or extras. They're faster than fry oil filters and do a better job of cleaning the oil. My 5 gallons only takes 2 or 3 days to get 90% which means I'm up and running quickly, and the remaining 10% I just let sit in the corner till I need it. Why complicate things?
Logged

Helene Fielder

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 334
    • Helene Fielder Sculptures
Re: Filtering oil
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 05:06:35 PM »

If you put it in the sun or a warm place the oil seems to seep faster.  I usually have backup mineral oil so I don't get too impatient waiting...waiting....waiting.
Logged
Helene

drnihili

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 209
Re: Filtering oil
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 05:13:58 PM »

Hmm, well mine's been filtering a day, so I guess it's not as slow as I had thought.  How do you support the bags over the bucket?
Logged

PhilNM

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 336
Re: Filtering oil
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 05:25:06 PM »

Hmm, well mine's been filtering a day, so I guess it's not as slow as I had thought.  How do you support the bags over the bucket?

I don't. I use some 1/4 inch hardware cloth bent into an inverted U and stuck in the bottom of the bucket, to hold the bags about 1/2 way up, and run 2 set ups at the same time. faster and not as heavy. If I'm impatient, I usually get enough overnight to refill the saw to a usable amount, plus as Helene said, I have backup oil that I keep in the gallon jugs it came in after it's done filtering.... I actually have enough oil for 2 fill-ups, I could just set the dirty aside and refill completely with the backup oil and let the dirty take it's time to filter....  But I like to keep the garage uncluttered and only do that when absolutely necessary.
Logged

Helene Fielder

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 334
    • Helene Fielder Sculptures
Re: Filtering oil
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »

Don't remind me It's way past time to clean the garage.  My to-do list is getting long, due to procrastination.   Choices.  Clean the garage or cut a stone.  Clean the garage or see what pretties my rock friends have posted.
Logged
Helene

drnihili

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 209
Re: Filtering oil
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 07:42:19 PM »

My garage is a 30x30 shop crammed full of junk.  I've been picking away at it, but it seems that for every 3 things I put away, 2 more take their places.  Still, that's progress, and it gives me something to do while I wait for a new batch of jade to form and make it's way to the surface ....
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
 

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.