Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Auscarver for his Tigereye carving of Saturn!

 www.lapidaryforuum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sierra Madre agate, a few malachite pieces, some enameling...  (Read 3125 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Greg Hiller

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 170
Sierra Madre agate, a few malachite pieces, some enameling...
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:28:31 AM »

A bit of work from the last couple of weeks.  The top left (pendant) I believe is Sierra Madre Agate.  Next one over is an agate/jasper we collected ourselves, from the 'Lavic siding' site in California.  I put a little piece of pattern wire I had left over on the top.  Next is a labradorite and then a malachite pendant.  Then I started playing with enamel again.  I never really learned much the first time, but I'm trying a bit harder now.  The blue color can sure add a lot to some pieces.  Then the final piece is a chunk of malachite that just didn't seem like it made sense to turn into a normal cab form, it would have lost too much of the interesting pattern I think. 
Logged
Always interested in trading slabs and rough

Kaljaia

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 812
Re: Sierra Madre agate, a few malachite pieces, some enameling...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »

Beautiful pieces! That lavic siding material is interesting, and I love the pattern piece above the circular cab. The malachite pattern is gorgeous within that shape.
Logged
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

olgguy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 370
Re: Sierra Madre agate, a few malachite pieces, some enameling...
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 06:47:30 PM »

That is a pretty nice collection of Scroll work you got going there! I have been known to make some myself now and then.
Logged

Greg Hiller

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 170
Re: Sierra Madre agate, a few malachite pieces, some enameling...
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 07:24:37 AM »

I got into the filigree stuff after reading the Silver Threads book by Jeanne Rhodes-Moen.  I use twisted wire Argentium silver, annealed, then run through a roller, then annealed one last time.  Once the wire is in this form I've found it much easier to twist into the shapes I want and to make consistent shapes so that the pieces look symmetrical. 
Logged
Always interested in trading slabs and rough
Pages: [1]   Go Up
 

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 33 queries.