Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to auscarver and his Rhodonite Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unusual jade knife handle  (Read 1194 times)

Kaljaia

Unusual jade knife handle
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:44:24 AM »

This isn't exactly ancient but it's not recent either so I wasn't sure where to put it.
Saw this on a blog I follow:
Thought it was a very unusual use of Jade 'beads' to form a dagger handle. Or at least they are described as jade. Interesting, anyhow! And I love the silver inlay in the stones.

Their description:
Jade Dagger

Dated: 19th century
Place of Origin: Ottoman Empire
Measurements: overall length: 12.5in (318mm); blade length: 7in (178mm)
An unusual dagger from the Ottoman Empire with a hilt that is carved in “Mutton-Fat” Jade, chiselled, inlaid with silver, and topped with a silver crown shaped pommel. The bolster and ricasso area of the blade are overlaid with gold decoration typical to daggers from that area. A nicely shaped blade, fullered and inlaid with two brass dots.

Blog link:http://art-of-swords.tumblr.com/post/143986995764/jade-dagger-dated-19th-century-place-of-origin
Source link: http://runjeetsingh.com/

- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon. 90% of what I post is from this area, from private property where I have permission to hike and collect. The material I find is for personal use only, I do not have landowner permission to sell. Thanks for understanding!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Unusual jade knife handle
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 08:56:17 AM »

Very beautiful form . The shape of the handle really plays off the overall shape well.Interesting inlay as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 27 queries.