Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to denverkris and her Stinking Water Plume Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaking of Patinas  (Read 2087 times)

Kaljaia

Speaking of Patinas
« on: May 09, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »

A broken stone found in a ditch beside a road.

Very distinct difference in patina between sides. Flat grinder, I think? It was in a pretty clearly disturbed area and looked like it had been driven over, so not of historical value- well displaced from whatever location and strata it would have come from.
As to the patina, I am curious to know how many strokes it would take to polish and shine a stone that much. Would a good grinding stone be carried from camp to camp? Passed down from one generation to the next? Were they 'seasoned' by use and considered more valuable the smoother they got, or less effective as the rough surface wore off?

Or is it just the result of natural weathering?

- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon. 90% of what I post is from this area, from private property where I have permission to hike and collect. The material I find is for personal use only, I do not have landowner permission to sell. Thanks for understanding!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Speaking of Patinas
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:16:25 PM »

I am going to say this is a product of weathering.  One side more exposed than the other.
My archaeological knowledge from studying Native artifacts in college and grad school tells me this is not man made.
-Amanda
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/EnchantedRegalia
http://www.pinterest.com/amandabielski/
https://www.facebook.com/enchantedregalia/

Coincidence is G-d's way of staying anonymous.  -Rabbi David Abrahams

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

Kaljaia

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »

I am going to say this is a product of weathering.  One side more exposed than the other.
My archaeological knowledge from studying Native artifacts in college and grad school tells me this is not man made.

Thanks for the response! I'll compare it to other local rock and see if the patina is replicated, maybe from a local wildfire. The road is not traveled enough for it to be 'cobblestone' wear. Would water produce such an uneven effect? 
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon. 90% of what I post is from this area, from private property where I have permission to hike and collect. The material I find is for personal use only, I do not have landowner permission to sell. Thanks for understanding!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:10:01 PM »

I assume there was a photo with this post but it is not showing for me.

Kaljaia

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »

I assume there was a photo with this post but it is not showing for me.

Thanks for letting me know! I swapped image hosting. Do they show up now?
- Erika

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 05:48:11 PM »

Yes and the stone looks extremely well worn. I suspect just a few years could do that because the stone they ground on became worn as well. All the grit was not good for the teeth at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 35 queries.