Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Sandsave and his Crinoid Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Utah Wyoming trip finds  (Read 1323 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Utah Wyoming trip finds
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »

Hi all.  I have been busy (and a bit lazy) posting the finds from the trip to see the Eclipse.  I posted separately the large log find and some of the fossil sponge.  This is the rest of the material I collected on the trip with the exception of the Topaz.  Since I kept giving the Topaz to people all along the trip I came home with little.  The 2 couples who broke down in their motorhome near Jeffrey City and the Grandfather who was visiting his first grandchild I met at a restaurant along with kids, waitresses and even the rangers in one of the Wyoming State parks all got to have some Topaz Keepsakes.  I didn't really need more I was so lucky the first couple times I went there better to share the wealth.

The trip started with a 112 degree stop in Mojave on the way and then straight to Topaz Mountain.  I dug Topaz for a day and then moved over to Green River to collect Pigeon Blood Agate and Coprolites.  I beautiful Gopher snake caught me off guard while collecting the PBlood Agate. and I spent one day on that material.  I came home with some very large very high grade Pigeon blood as you can see from the pic of some of the large pieces. The next morning I decided to try a couple canyons I have had luck in the past.  I was looking for more of the Lemon Yellow Wood I found there but came up dry.  I was hunting the coprolites and after a few hints in the main wash they led me up a side canyon and there they were in clusters dotting the hillside.  I did really well.  After this I moved up to Wyoming to meet my friends and we went to Blue Forest.  First night with only a couple hours to dig I hit the big log.  Next day digging maybe 2 feet away I hit a cast of almost all blue agate with 3/4" walls and the base was solid with wood floaters.  I picked up a bunch of other wood and limbs and did well for the shorts time there.

We then went to shot the eclipse which was absolutely awesome.  While in town I saw a lapidary saw in a guys yard and introduced myself and he turned us on to the Fossil Sponge location which we only hit for maybe 2 hours but came up with some real winners.  From there we moved down to Jeffrey City and after finding the looking for Jade was going to be a much harder and longer hunt we decided to hit the Sweetwater agates for a day.  I got some beauties.  And of course the last morning walking around (!!without my snake chaps on and wearing tennis shoes!!) I almost stepped on the Prairie rattler. 

A most memorable trip and loads of great material to cut.  Blacklight pic is taken in our bathroom with a UV flashlight to show the green in the sweetwater agates.  I just noticed i missed putting the tray of sponge slabs.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Utah Wyoming trip finds
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »

Nice post. I still have a little pigeon's blood around and it is one of the nicest roughs to look at in hand , great color , translucency and inclusions.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »

You did really well and found some beautiful rough.  That'll keep you busy for the winter.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »

You seem to know all the best collecting spots.  Glad you lucked out with that rattler!  It looks like you'll have lots of slabbing/cabbing fun ahead.  Nice finds. 

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:27:04 PM »

Rick, let me know next time you come up the hill and i'll send you home with some.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »

Rick, let me know next time you come up the hill and i'll send you home with some.
You've got a deal.  Thanks. 

Kaljaia

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »

Gorgeous material! Sounds like quite a trip, and glad that rattler encounter turned out well.

What blacklight do you use?
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon. 90% of what I post is from this area, from private property where I have permission to hike and collect. The material I find is for personal use only, I do not have landowner permission to sell. Thanks for understanding!

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »

It was made by phileex.  I'll add the link here but on amazon it says currently unavailable.  Very strong and well built and inexpensive.  I think I only paid around $10. for it and very happy with it.  You might be able to find it someplace besides Amazon/

https://www.amazon.com/Ultraviolet-flashlight-Blacklight-Currency-Detector/dp/B00J98P2YI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »

I just found and ordered one on EBay.  Just do a search for " Phileex 395 nM 51 UV Ultraviolet LED flashlight Blacklight."  There seem to be lots of them available for under $10 delivered.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 08:32:24 PM »

Yep they are an awesome deal and very handy in the field.

cabjunky

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 06:00:29 AM »

I enjoyed reading about your adventures.  Very nice material. 

socalagatehound

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 12:30:14 PM »

Looks like you won the home run derby on this one! Excellent finds and an eclipse too!  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 48 queries.