Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Stonemon and his Blue Biggs Jasper Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent carvings - ripi and fly  (Read 952 times)

southerly

Recent carvings - ripi and fly
« on: October 08, 2016, 04:04:22 AM »

Here are two recent carvings. The first is in the style of a ripi blade which is sharpened along one edge, the thumb hole is also beveled for easy holding. This was a 'test' piece from a block of nephrite jade from Cowell in South Australia I acquired recently.

The second carving is a fishing fly carved from nephrite jade from Tamworth, New South Wales. The feather sections are <1mm thick and became hard to work, originally I had some 1mmx1mmx5mm hackles around the binding too but they broke off during sanding. Note to self to use a darker jade next time to get more contrast in the different thicknesses, this is destined to adorn my Akubra hat.

Orrum

Re: Recent carvings - ripi and fly
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 05:20:24 AM »

The fly is incredible!!!   The jade knife is something I keep trying to get a piece of nephrite to try . Great work my friend!

domdeslagons

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 04:39:28 PM »

I really like the second one. The way you reshap the traditionnal hook is great!

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:27:58 PM »

The knife is a great shape, and I love how delicate the hook and feather is. I would be scared to handle something with carving on it that fine. Lovely work!
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon. 90% of what I post is from this area, from private property where I have permission to hike and collect. The material I find is for personal use only, I do not have landowner permission to sell. Thanks for understanding!

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 06:50:51 PM »

Okay, the knife is really nice.  I like the aged look the knife gets from, well, the bad areas. Looks really cool.

The Fly, WOW. That is a great piece of work and a beautiful piece of jade.

Jhon P

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 07:19:29 PM »

Beautiful,  I always want to know how the final sanding and polishing is done. That is what gives me the most trouble

metalsmith

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 02:12:50 AM »

Stunning, especially the fly-hook
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 36 queries.