Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highland Park B 12 upgrade  (Read 2353 times)

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
Highland Park B 12 upgrade
« on: January 03, 2017, 07:47:12 AM »

This has been the greatest of combo machines since my father purchased it some 45 years ago. I cleaned it up a while ago, made a plexiglass cover for the saw with an opening for my arm for trim work. The latest improvement was for the expando wheel I use so much. It now has it own water supply and a means to contain the splash and drain it. The hinged lid make it easier to change belts. I used a muti-laminate birch plywood, epoxy fillets in the corners, coated the whole thing with epoxy resin and then painted with hammer gray to resemble the original Highland Park paint coating. Another nice addition was a piece of the same 1/2" rubber tile material I use for my shop floor in the "bin" under the diamond wheels. This just in case the piece I'm working on slips out of my hands, it hits the rubber instead of the hard metal, lessening the chance of damage to the piece.
IMG_4550.jpg
*IMG_4550.jpg (80.79 kB . 600x450 - viewed 851 times)
IMG_4551.jpg
*IMG_4551.jpg (78.38 kB . 450x600 - viewed 801 times)
IMG_4552.jpg
*IMG_4552.jpg (72.58 kB . 450x600 - viewed 720 times)

This is how the unit looked a few years ago. I've since replace the SC wheels with diamond.
Rock saw reberth 004.jpg
*Rock saw reberth 004.jpg (70.43 kB . 600x450 - viewed 1143 times)   

Long live HP !!

bobby1

Re: Highland Park B 12 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »

About a month ago I went up to Medford, Oregon to pick up the B-12 unit that my uncle taught me how to make cabs on ..... in 1958. He passed away a couple years ago and my cousin wanted me to have it. I hope to get it looking as good as yours. I'm going to donate it to our club - The Mother Lode Mineral Society - for a raffle at our show in early March.
Bob

Orrum

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »

Now u r cabbin n style!

LJ48

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »

Kent. Nice job on the upgrades. I have the same unit that I, like bobby1, inherited from my uncle who taught me how to make cabs back in the late 50s. I have been restoring the unit, and now I'm trying to figure out whats missing from the gravity feed. Do you use it with the gravity feed, and if so, could i get a picture of that assembly? Thank you.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 32 queries.