Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to irockhound and his Moss Agate!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What hand pieces are recommended?  (Read 578 times)

Campbellpotter

What hand pieces are recommended?
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »

Hi all,

I have been using a dremel 3000 to carve and polish jade for a while and have killed a few of them so keen to buy something better. What do would you recommend as advice or products to check out?

A bit more context is Im a hobby carver and mostly work with small necklace pendants and do an occasional bigger sculpture. Examples are here on my site, campbellcarving.co.nz.

Thanks

Jhon P

Re: What hanf pieces are recommended?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »

A fordom will hold up better than a dremil. I do a little carving, not much lately. I have a old dental lathe that I use for a fixed point and to be able to use both hands and it has plenty of power and two speeds

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »

Most carvers recommend a Foredom flex shaft machine with a #30 Handpiece.  That model has a Jacobs chuck that can handle a variety of bur shaft diameters.  There are also several high-speed carving set-ups capable of delivering up to 400,000 rpms.  One is the Turbocarver http://www.turbocarver.com/thetool/body_thetool.html

I know that several other manufacturers offer other high-speed equipment but you’ll have to search them out.

Many carvers prefer a point-carving system where the workpiece is brought to the machine.  There are probably instructions for making your own on line.  Here’s a commercial model that illustrates the idea: 
http://www.arrowheadlapidarysupply.com/catalog/item.php?unid=8720

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »

and make sure you get a foredom with reverse so your wheels and burrs wear evenly

Campbellpotter

Re: What hand pieces are recommended?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 01:26:12 AM »

Thanks guys,
Ill be having a good look at the foredom stuff then, I already have a point carver I have setup, but it is a bit slow for small burrs, works well with laps and big circumference things, might be worth while getting a bigger pulley. 

As I am in New Zealand I need 220V stuff.
I found this page on Foredom
https://www.foredom.net/220-230voltmotorsandspeedcontrols.aspx

Can anyone help me through the jargon, I would probably go with hanging but they all seem like pretty similiar machines but I am sure there some significant difference in them, anyone able to point me in the right direction?

southerly

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 02:38:21 AM »

Foredom has 200v options, just select them at the checkout of the site you choose to buy from, it seems a genuine 220v too. Heaps more torque than a dremel.

Debbie K

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 06:25:12 AM »

Yeah, more torque, but slower speed. Dremels have greater rpms. I have a 1/4 hp Wecheer which takes forever to wind down, which I practically never use for just that reason. I want to be able to change burs quickly. I think the higher torque is useful if you want to carve wood, but not so much for stone. And interesting enough, I only miss the high speed of the Dremel when I carve softer stones. I use medium speed most of the time. I thought that a dental set-up would be great; I finally got one but never use it.

I prefer the collets to the jacobs handpieces. Again, they're quicker to change burs. They want too much for the Foredom quick change handpieces, but I have switched over to the thinner, pencil type handpieces. When I carve, I carve for hours at a time and the bulky handpiece gives my hand horrible cramps after a few hours.

I've yet to kill a Foredom, or the Wecheer. I've killed about 4 Dremels and 1 Grobet. I hated the expense, but the Foredom is a better machine. And when I carve, I carve a lot. I looked at your website, and the Foredom will be a great choice for you. My stuff is generally smaller is scale too, see here dlskdesigns.com.

Good luck with whatever you get, and happy carving!

Debbie K

Amylynn

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 05:31:36 AM »

Yeah, more torque, but slower speed. Dremels have greater rpms. I have a 1/4 hp Wecheer which takes forever to wind down, which I practically never use for just that reason. I want to be able to change burs quickly. I think the higher torque is useful if you want to carve wood, but not so much for stone. And interesting enough, I only miss the high speed of the Dremel when I carve softer stones. I use medium speed most of the time. I thought that a dental set-up would be great; I finally got one but never use it.

I prefer the collets to the jacobs handpieces. Again, they're quicker to change burs. They want too much for the Foredom quick change handpieces, but I have switched over to the thinner, pencil type handpieces. When I carve, I carve for hours at a time and the bulky handpiece gives my hand horrible cramps after a few hours.

I've yet to kill a Foredom, or the Wecheer. I've killed about 4 Dremels and 1 Grobet. I hated the expense, but the Foredom is a better machine. And when I carve, I carve a lot. I looked at your website, and the Foredom will be a great choice for you. My stuff is generally smaller is scale too, see here dlskdesigns.com.

Good luck with whatever you get, and happy carving!

Debbie K

Debbie,

Where did you find the handpieces you use?  I have the same problem with the H.30 handpiece, though I'm only just learning this stuff. I was thinking I'm going to have to get a micromotor to be comfortable carving, because I have small hands. That, and the tension on the flex shaft puts strain on my wrists... if that makes sense.

Thank you!

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:59:28 AM »

https://www.mcmaster.com/#flexible-shaft-grinders/=1bd8es3

https://www.mcmaster.com/#flexible-shaft-grinders/=1bd8fab

Continous-Duty Grinder is 2nd link.

I have a 52" Flex cable from the mid-50s i use. 1750 RPM. or less. it was used to clean casting dies.
scares me to use it.
  The power head for the cable is a 1/2 Hp. motor.

Though i use the Drill press and both hand on a fire agate. More stable  play with.

Jack
Silicate life form
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.