Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tumbling Jade  (Read 3147 times)

William Phillips

Tumbling Jade
« on: January 10, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »

Does anyone have any suggestions how to tumble Jade. My daughter in law brought some home for me from China. And I would like to tumble some of it.

Thank you
Bill

kenny

Re: Tumbling Jade
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 04:23:06 PM »

Rotary may be disastrous might try a vibe.

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 04:34:59 PM »

Are you tumbling little pieces, cabochons or????   Makes a big difference.

Most jade will tumble polish. There are a lot of tumble polished specimens for sale on e-bay with a nice finish.

William Phillips

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »

55fossil

I hope to make some earrings wire wrapped so the pieces will be 1/2 x 1/2 x 3/16 inch, and pendants  1x1x.25 inch.
Thank you

Bill

Slabbercabber

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »

Jade comes in a million varieties of hardness and almost all of it contains more than one zone.  Tumbling is a pure crapshoot unless you know the quality is even all over.  Results could be anything.

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 01:27:19 PM »

Siberian Jade Rough for Cabbing Cabochon Wire Wrapping Tumbled Jewelry, Over 30g

Glue this into your ebay search and you can see tumbled jade. This is pretty good quality jade but  even Siberian Jade has zoning and the usual jade problems. I normally hand cut and polish all jade cabochons. For someone that wants jade to wire wrap or drill:  I precut and rough shape the jade on silicon carbide 100 grit, 220, 4000 grit wheels. Then into a small vibratory tumbler with 600, pre-polish then polish. I guess a rotary tumbler would work but have not tried it. Do not shape jade on a hard wheel such as Genie steel core wheels. There is a few jades that can survive a diamond hard wheel, very few.  good luck  neal

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 04:28:44 PM »

". Do not shape jade on a hard wheel such as Genie steel core wheels. There is a few jades that can survive a diamond hard wheel, very few.  good luck  neal"

Absolutely correct!  Jade is basically a "felt" stone and the vibration from metal wheels causes a lot of issues.....

55fossil

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 12:32:28 PM »

Test tumble for jade..... I tossed some jade cabs into a vibratory tumbler with 600 grit SC. Ran for 3 days and looks as expected. It has a smooth surface with some areas where you can see a change due to softer rock. After 3 days in pre-polish it is looking better but still not like hand polished. In process now of 3 days with CPP Polish powder.  We shall see what it does.

This is a mixture of BC green jades with all types of normal jade issues. Some pieces have chromite, black ? spots, multiple shades of green looking like swirling water. So there will be a lot of various hardness and textures to contend with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 42 queries.