Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to auscarver and his Rhodonite Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to have slabs cut  (Read 337 times)

ILMSteve

Need to have slabs cut
« on: July 19, 2018, 12:31:25 PM »

I cam across some Zodiaq Engineered stone by Dupont. They call it Corian Quartz. It has a Rockwell Hardness of >85 on the "M" Scale.

It is an interesting stone with an occasional clear "quartz-like" area and some scattered glitter of red and silver.

I found 4 pieces, 4" x 4" x just under an inch thick. I think they would make some great guitar picks.

My only problem is that I do not have a saw that can cut 4' x 4" x 3mm thick slabs from them.

I am not sure how the Rockwell M Hardness compares to the Mohs hardness scale but I suspect these slabs are pretty hard material.

From what I can see diamond sawblades are required for cutting.

Is there someone here who can slab them for me? How much would it cost? I would pay postage both ways.

20180719_135719.jpg
*20180719_135719.jpg (142.91 kB . 800x1067 - viewed 165 times)

Slabbercabber

Re: Need to have slabs cut
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »

Corian is a soft material comprised of arcylic and aluminum trihydrate.  It is normally cut with a carbide tooth woodworking saw.  I believe it would gum up an abrasive blade in short order.  I suppose a slab saw could be fitted with a woodworking blade for the job.  You would still face the problem of grinding to a cab.  It is normally sanded dry with silicon carbide paper.  Again, in a power tool setting it will melt and gum the abrasive.

ILMSteve

Re: Need to have slabs cut
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »

Hi SC. I thought that as well and that has been my experience with Corian as well. I checked Dupont's material spec sheet and they advise installers to use diamond saws.

I have just figured out that I can try to cut it myself. I have a tile cutter and I will try it with a thin diamond blade. I should be able to cut it to the width I need. I don't know why I didn't think of this before I made the post but I will see if it is as they say.

I'll let you see how it turns out a a few weeks. I want to get a new blade first.

Thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 29 queries.