Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to irockhound and his Moss Agate!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Knife making questions from a beginner.  (Read 263 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Knife making questions from a beginner.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »

I know Michael has much more experience with 325 especially since he recommended that I use it originally.  I used it on my first folder that didn't have a rear bolster and the lack of that 2nd bolster was the reason he said to use it and I agree it is perfect for those situations.  The setup time for me was about 5 seconds max but probably closer to 3 secs and it was locked in.  I think, since it uses a catalyst that if you were to let the catalyst dry more than I did the working time would be higher.  When I sprayed the catalyst on the scales I let then sit for about a minute before joining but this left the catalyst still a bit wet and may have caused my quick set time.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 10:40:08 PM »

I will say that once the 325 "grabs" it is game over for moving the scale so you have to move fast and get it right.  The good news is if you maintain everything oil free (I wear nitrile gloves) you should never have a scale failure.  I have done over 2,800 knives with this adhesive and ZERO have come back to be re-attached.  You need to discard it once you get 3 months past the expiration date.   I have had a few in shop failures and every time it was with expired 325.   zoro.com has been reliable for shipping non-expired 325.  Don't even think about Ebay - I did early on and at least 70% of the bottles I was shipped were expired 325 or the expiration date section of the label was cut off.

Titewad

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »

I googled Loctite 325 and it says: Single component with 24 hr. cure time.  What is this catalyst that you use?  And does the 325 work all by itself without failures?

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 08:10:24 PM »

Without going out to the garage to check I think the kicker was 7075 and comes in a small spray can.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 10:51:35 PM »

Loctite 325 Speedbonder structural adhesive is a high temperature, two step acrylic, no mixing required transparent brown adhesive. Loctite 325 is solvent resistant and, when used in conjunction with Loctite Primer 7075, forms flexible bonds on gaps up to 0.04 Inch.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 33 queries.