Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Stonemon and his Blue Biggs Jasper Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with used up hard wheels?  (Read 1020 times)

55fossil

Re: What to do with used up hard wheels?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 01:00:54 PM »

I did not do any special treatments to the leather. This was meant to be a simple test and it was. Since it worked well with just a straight seam I left it alone and made three more like it. I have used this leather wheel for over a year now with good results. I use a sprayer on mist to keep the leather damp while polishing. On some stones I let the leather get dry and actually let it heat the stone up to get a dazzling finish on really hard stones. Softer stones seem to polish wet with a rather damp leather pad.

Make sure and let the glue set up well before using!  Since this is a soft wheel that flexes I think the rubber cement was a great choice as it will flex forever. There could be a better choice.

Is there a better way.... most likely.   I think the biggest key is getting a leather that will hold the polish and do a good job. I really found the suede side to do a great job. Some times simple is good.....   

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: What to do with used up hard wheels?
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 09:08:04 PM »

Thanks Phil. I didn't even think of sewing the leather ends together. Must have rocks in my head... .

I see from re-reading this thread that the leather was used on an old Nova wheel - not a hard wheel. The thread started off on hard wheels, but many thanks to 55fossil for posting a photo of the leather "belt" on the soft wheel.

The rubber cement works too. I've used that when assembling resin disk/foam pad/steel backers for a flat lap.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 26 queries.