Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to auscarver and his Rhodonite Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carborundum Wheels, ETC.  (Read 308 times)

Michael

Carborundum Wheels, ETC.
« on: October 22, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »

I usually do not buy new lap equipment.  I have looked at them at R&M shows, and they have that distinct made in China look, which on the surface appear to be of limited in lifespan, etc.  I buy older, Raytech, StarDiamond, Frampton, Poly, and others.  I buy them from estate and other sales where folks just want to unload everything, blades, wheels, polishes, and slabs.  Ultimately comes out way cheaper, although I always seem to get one or two Carborundum wheels in the mix.  (I also have four almost new expansion drums of 6&8" variety which were "throw ins" as well.  Oh well)

I have my own diamond wheels and soft wheels, which I use for cabbing, so I am getting quite a few Carb wheels stacking up in my shop.  I buy those Rez soft wheels from Baltic abrasive which require breaking in.  I have a chunk of opalized agate which I use to break in the new wheels when I get them.  Rez wheels seem to last longer, and the guy at Baltic Abrasives stands behind his equipment.

My point is that the "break-in" agate I use is pretty rugged.  I have been grinding / smoothing it on the "C" wheels to knock off the edges etc .  Occasionally I have used them to "rough out" pre-forms.  Some of these old C wheels are in
bad shape with grooves, channels, etc.  Other than taking off the rough edge stuff, I never really use them much because of the shape they are in, and I am not sure if C wheels leave more gouges and scratches, 

There has been much discussion about old diamond wheels, -- refurbishing, etc.  Does anyone use these old Carborundum wheels for any reasons not mentioned here?

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Carborundum Wheels, ETC.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 12:15:15 PM »

I've cut them into slip stones for cleaning up metal  and sharpening and cut them up for tumbling media .

jerrysg

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 08:43:03 PM »

Use them to freshen your saw blades. The diamond cuts the carborundum but the carborundum wears away the steel leaving a fresh diamond surface.  If there are flaws in the C wheel DO NOT RUN THEM. They can fly apart with very unhappy effects. Human flesh does not respond well to flying carborundum!

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 07:47:23 AM »

You can buy single point diamond dressers that will clean them up very quickly if you want to use them for grinding.  I cut them into 2" x 6" blocks and sell or give them away as sharpening stones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 31 queries.