Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cabston diamond "nova" wheel  (Read 173 times)

Ryaly2dogs

Cabston diamond "nova" wheel
« on: July 25, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »

Good evening forum:  I am web surfing alternatives for replacement 6 inch diamond soft wheel in grits in range of #1000 to #6000 for finishing.  EBay of course lists the ubiquitous Diamond Pacific Nova wheel for about $100/ea which I have used in the past with good results.  I checked out Etsy and found a similar looking product from an entity in Lithuania (yep, you read that right) called Cabston.  I posted link below.

Question:  Has anyone in this forum used these wheels and are they worth their discount price at $60/ea?  The price is attractive, but only if they last/perform comparably to Diamond Pacific.

Thanks much for your insights/experience.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/528224590/top-6-cabston-grit-1200-lapidary-diamond?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=nova+diamond+wheel&ref=sr_gallery-1-18&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

Slabbercabber

Re: Cabston diamond "nova" wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 05:14:18 PM »

I know nothing about them but that looks more like a belt than a soft impregnated wheel.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 05:34:36 PM »

I haven't  used them personally but I've seen reports on other forums that vary.  Some folks seem to like them a lot; others say they're good but difficult to break in.  What's the shipping cost  on one of those if you know?

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »

I have heard mixed results. Wheels that are hard to break in are a big pain , nova wheels take long enough.Eastwind wheels are an alternative , they break in ok and cut quite aggressively but do not have the phenomenal staying power of the nova wheels.

gunsil

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 06:29:16 AM »

Check out Johnson Brothers Lapidary. They resurface your Nova wheels at a very nice price and advertise that they cut faster and last longer than when new. I have not yet tried them, but I did see them at Quartzite and their resurfaced wheels looked good. I have tried cheaper wheels from K-N, they are OK, but I will try the resurfaced ones from Johnson Bros next time I need some.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 01:23:41 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  They appear to be selling wheels as opposed to belts, lots of 5 star customers saying the are of good quality and last long, and statements that customer service is friendly and helpful.  Shipping is apparently fast (for Europe) and free.

I am going to go ahead and purchase one unit and will report out after I receive/use.  If they are all they appear to be, will order more. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 37 queries.