Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings from Florida!  (Read 777 times)

Jimbaloney

Greetings from Florida!
« on: January 07, 2021, 07:38:44 PM »

Hello everybody!

Started cabbing, wire wrapping & cutting rocks only about 10 years ago in my late 40's...got away from it a bit, but now I am back into it & looking forward to doing it with a vengeance once retirement is here in about 12 months, 9 days and 18 hours...I have come here often for tips and pointers (I think I registered back in the day), but there are some extremely knowledgeable, talented and helpful folks on here. In Florida, we have precious little in the way of stones other than fossilized coral, but I met a friend in north FL who sold me a saw and a couple cabbing machines. I have a bunch of old rock and continually scour the web for more. I figure I better be cutting it since my kids will be left with a bunch of rocks when my time comes. Anyway, I have a bunch of questions since I'm largely self taught and have done my share of trial and error. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the lapidary art field tends to be a relatively open one compared to others, but it's such a blast making something out of that appears to be just a rock to most people. No one ever threw a away a beautiful stone. In a sense, it's our way of leaving something beautiful in our wake.

So glad I found this forum again. Cheers!

--JIm

PS - First question, but unofficial...If the grinder motors work, is there anything that can go wrong with equipment that has sat unused for 6 or 7 years? Also, is there an easy way to tell when Galaxy and Nova wheels need to be replaced? I'm a patient guy, so spending twice as long cutting something with an old wheel might not be something I'd notice, especially after this long.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Greetings from Florida!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 05:57:14 AM »

Welcome back!

If your grinder is a Genie, there is a "run" capacitor that usually dies if it hasn't been used for a long time. It's in the metal base under the motor, and isn't difficult to replace. Except for the part where you have to take the motor off to get to it.

Replacements can be bought online. DP has changed motors, and the new capacitors don't fit the same as the old ones. There is plenty of room there for the new one, but the size or shape doesn't fit the mounting - or so we've heard.

One warning. DO NOT turn the motor completely upside down when you remove the old capacitor. There is a "nut hole" where the wiring goes up into the motor itself, and it's a major ordeal to retrieve anything that falls through the "nut hole" into the motor housing! Leave the motor on it's side when removing the old capacitor. Yes - that IS the voice of experience you're hearing there... .

Jimbaloney

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 12:42:04 PM »

Thank you! Amazingly they both still work, but I will DEFINITELY keep that in mind when they quit.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 07:06:01 PM »

Good to hear they both work. Just be on alert for any small "pops" you might hear, and get used to normal operating temp. You should be able to lay your hand on the housing, although they do get pretty warm.

If the capacitor fails, they will draw waaay too much current, and get too hot to lay your hand on the housing - even for a second.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 07:27:45 PM »

Welcome from Northern Arizona! 

If I were you I'd definitely be getting new capacitors to put in those machines.  You can get replacements from Graingers for about $6.  Way better to be safe than sorry.  I had to replace my motor (before I knew about the capacitor thing and it cost me $450 about 11 years ago.  New motors now are around $600.

As to the wheels, as long as they still have diamond on them, they'll cut (even if it's a lot slower).  You will start to see "bald" spots where the diamond has completely worn away on the wheels and then it's time to get new ones.
Robin

Jimbaloney

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 09:19:01 AM »

Thanks folks! Been keeping an eye on it, and it started running a little hot - So I ordered one for my Genie. I believe the new Genies use a different model cap, but for anyone out there looking, the one I had in mine was AEROVOX Z24P3706M. Found a new one on eBay, but Tedss has them cheaper (I panic bought) - https://www.tedss.com/Z24P3706M

I appreciate y'all!

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 10:14:38 AM »

Thanks for posting that link.

VegasJames

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 04:49:56 AM »

Welcome from Las Vegas
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 41 queries.