Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring a 1950s Frantom 18" Slab Saw  (Read 894 times)

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: Restoring a 1950s Frantom 18" Slab Saw
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2021, 07:54:39 AM »

i have no clue of maker, no tags anywhere.
its a 5 gallons oil, 17 inch saw but i put a 20 inch blade on it and added a bottom drain since the prior owner drilled a hole in bottom.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 05:44:16 PM »

Hey there, DC. Have a photo of your handle and split nut assembly.

It's on a 24" saw a lady in the club is selling to pay medical bills. The saw is like new, and you could buy it for $5,000.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2021, 06:57:45 PM »

Hey there, DC. Have a photo of your handle and split nut assembly. It's on a 24" saw a lady in the club is selling to pay medical bills. The saw is like new, and you could buy it for $5,000.

That isn't my split nut assembly on my 18". Its their improved version a couple years after mine was made. ...but it is a good picture though so thanks and besides I already own a 24" Frantom.....Also a 24" Highland Park Saw retails for $4995 BRAND NEW...so thanks for the "bargain" :thumbsup:. Before we start getting off track for this thread this isn't a "for sale" thread.....Its best I feel to take these to PMs next time so some moderator doesn't jump on me........thank you.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2021, 07:51:38 PM »

Crap. I just posted it 'cuz I thought that was the setup you had.

No worries about the mods here.

Finally, I'd buy this saw or any one of yours for the same money before I'd buy a new "import".

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2021, 02:16:03 AM »

Crap. I just posted it 'cuz I thought that was the setup you had. No worries about the mods here. Finally, I'd buy this saw or any one of yours for the same money before I'd buy a new "import".

Vince......everything is good.....appreciate the pic and help and you're welcome to post anytime. Its when you mentioned it for sale is when I felt the need to intervene. Being new I don't know the mods here and some on other forums I have been on can be Nazi control freaks amongst other unpleasant things which I no longer post on or even visit anymore because of it. So my apologies if it was taken wrong.

I'll soon have the entire cartridge and vice removed for cleaning/restoring and have better pics of Frantoms' "tube style" spit nut version they first used.  I've also since been corresponding with a fellow at Diamond Pacific and found nothing wrong with mine which I thought was broken but according to them its suppose to look that way and soon after went to the design shown in your pic you posted......I have been restoring machines, tools and mechanisms from all trades for several decades and its always helpful to learn some of their history.......so always learning. 

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2021, 08:59:02 AM »

This IS a great thread for any first-time Frantom owners - like I was.

Looking back at the photo of the handle on your "tube style" split nut, the photos of mine and Jhon's, and the "new and improved" one on the saw the lady in our club has, I see the progression of the designs.

I don't quite understand how the later design - with less material in the split nut - is an improvement. Unless it was to allow for adding inserts the way they're made (or reproduced) now when they wear out to the point where tapping is no longer an option.

Now I know the saw we have is later than yours, but earlier than the ones that don't have the tube style split nut. The upper-right corner of the nameplate on mine was torn off, so I've always wondered about the age and model number. This thread has helped a lot.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 09:08:42 PM »

Well finally located a 5/8-11 NC Die locally to finish cleaning up the threads on the vice adjusting block and T-Handle. I love these hexagon dies..makes it easier to hold many different ways to ease using in these situations if need be. Now all there is left to to with this part is make and install a new cross handle. I still have plans on going out of town and picking up parts I need I can't get here so that will be added to my list.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 39 queries.