Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Richard W. Holmes Books.  (Read 1751 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Richard W. Holmes Books.
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:29:48 AM »

Richard W. Holmes Books.

Postby brightlights » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:18 pm
Just a post about a series of books (Fiction) I had on the shelf that I realized wasn't listed here. These are books by Richard W. Holmes. We met while camped a few times in North Carolina when MAGMA (Mountain Area Gem and Mineral Association) had their annual Rockhound Roundup. An interesting character, and a natural story teller. I bought his books and read them. They have been on my shelf since.

His website is here: http://www.ridgewater.com/

Books (in order of story and print)

"The Ratters of Lightning Ridge"
"Kate's Capers in Cumborah"
"The Diamonds of Jaruk"
"Ben's Revenge"

All give a good fictional story of some outback life and adventure. Each one can be read separately, but they revolve around the lives of Kate and her mate Rusty and their efforts to eek out a living in LR. Obviously some fiction with locations but for the most part he said he had based most of the books from various characters he met while in Australia. Terms and maps included in the back for those not familiar with Australian outback. Illustrations by Bryan Cook.

Only bad part is that I think they are all out of print... But you might find them out on the intertubes if you are diligent.

Re: Richard W. Holmes Books.

Postby gingerkid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:10 am
8) will see if i can find them in our faithful library system, BL!! thanks for posting them. one of them made me wonder, "what the heck??," the one called "Ben's Revenge." wondering if the main character (ben?) is a ghost?? :?

Postby brightlights » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:02 pm

gingerkid wrote:
    8) will see if i can find them in our faithful library system, BL!! thanks for posting them. one of them made me wonder, "what the heck??," the one called "Ben's Revenge." wondering if the main character (ben?) is a ghost?? :?

Well... I don't want to give much away. Basically Ben is looked at as Daft by the local folks because he mines the old field. They found some indications of stones and need help putting down a hole. He has the auger, so he puts the hole down, but goes beyond the opal layer. Nobody believes him when he starts talking about what he found, so they play up that he's back on the juice and everyone thinks he's daft. In the end he dies in a collapse, after going back down the hole to prove what they found. The town has to dig up the field looking for his body. In his hand was the evidence and then all heck breaks loose. :shock:

I think that is a good synopsis without giving it all away. Might of even got some of it wrong... it has been a while since I read them, and my cheese seems to develop holes after it sits for a while. :lol:

Are you a big reader? I used to read every book I could get my hands on before (fiction)

Postby gingerkid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:45 am

brightlights wrote:
    Are you a big reader? I used to read every book I could get my hands on before (fiction)

usually check out books from our library system instead of buying them nowadays. right now i'm reading, "the tavernier stones," by stephen parrish, who is a gemologist and cartographer. it's pretty interesting - a gemmo mystery-interesting facts on tavernier, etc... also checked out "legendary gems or gems that made history," by eric bruton.

recently discovered one of gerald a browne's books at my home that my mother gave me a long time ago, "11 harrowhouse," which is about the diamond industry and theft. really enjoyed the book and found out that most of his books are about the gem/jewelry industry. i recommend his books, too! :)

checked in our library system for the holmes books, and unfortunately, they don't have them. :(

Anything not given, is lost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 28 queries.