Gadgets, Gizmos, and Dohickeys > Tool Talk

New, old Frantom saw

(1/3) > >>

GeoTech:
Hi all, I have a 10" Frantom saw that was part of a package I purchased from an estate. I will be cleaning it up in the next month or so as time permits.
My question is about the feed system (see pics) that obviously pulls the rough through the saw.
What, how, Why, When Where?
1)What kind of weights are used to accomplish this?
2)How do you determine feed rate? Is it a matter of each different rock has a different speed ?
3)Why would speed matter other than bogging down the saw? Does it burn the slab going too slow?
4)When do you change blade types if at all? Is it a matter of listening to the chatter?
And finally,
5)Where do you draw a line between mineral oil & water? Then what types of oil is recommended?
I have to smile just anticipating the answers that may be thrown out.
I have been a beekeeper for many years, & came up with a saying "Ask a beekeeper a question, you get an answer. Ask ten beekeepers the same questions, you get confused!" Not to say nine out of ten will be wrong, as there is no true experts in our field. And the ONLY correct answer is, "Whatever works for you"
Thanks for your opinions!

Slabbercabber:
1)What kind of weights are used to accomplish this?
Any weight will do, even sandbags.  Tin can with sand is adjustable.  Scale weights are very convenient.
2)How do you determine feed rate? Is it a matter of each different rock has a different speed ?
Feed rate is subjective.  Different materials and different blades need different speeds.  Play it by ear.
3)Why would speed matter other than bogging down the saw? Does it burn the slab going too slow?
Too slow may cause worse saw marks.
4)When do you change blade types if at all? Is it a matter of listening to the chatter?
I never change blade type.
And finally,
5)Where do you draw a line between mineral oil & water? Then what types of oil is recommended?
Water if you are pushing the material into the blade.  You don't want to be be breathing oil.  Oil will extend blade life.

Felicia:
2. If you're using weights, the material hardness would affect feed rate, (i.e.  softer will feed faster, etc.)  3. The amount of weight will affect the pressure on being applied, (yes this affects speed), but too much pressure can overheat the blade and stone, regardless of oil. Going slow usually more of a problem for your patience, than the stone. 5. Trim saws are usually 6" or less and use water. Larger saws like yours use oil. Oil using saws are normally covered while the cuts are being made to keep from breathing oil mist. If you must do it by hand, then a really good idea will be to look into masks (not another mask! 😱). There are types that will filter out practically anything depending on the insert used, or get a mask type that will let you bring in outside air. Check back into some older articles, not too far back there was some discussion about saw oils, and where to get them at the best price. Good luck.

irockhound:
I feel that there is a sweet spot in speed.  Too slow will make you wait much longer but also the longer it runs with the blade in contact with the stone the more heat is built up in the blade and the oil which causes the same problem as going to fast.  A witches art.

GeoTech:
Thanks everyone for the great replies! I like the idea of a coffee can & sand! I'm picturing pouring sand to start the sled and slowly adding more to speed it up as needed
As to the fact of using oil and the (dreaded) mask 😂😂 I have particulate masks if needed, however, the saw has a plexiglass cover that drops down over the saw that might help save what's left of my lungs after working 30 years of brazing refrigeration systems & breathing Phosgene gas.
And so irockhound, I'm thinking of sacrificing a bunch of junk rocks of various hardness is the way to find that sweet "feel" then instead of starting with some hefty Brazilian Agates!   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version