Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me understand the difference between different designs of flat laps  (Read 1322 times)

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel

I've seen flat laps described as vibratory, reciprocating, and also oscillating - but couldn't find clear explanations of differences in the way they work.

I am looking into two used units - one is a 20'' Lortone oscillating lap, and another one a 10'' Raytech vibrating lap. Ignoring the price, size, and condition, what are practical differences between the two in terms of efficiency of grinding and polishing, issues with splashing, noise, etc.?

Slabbercabber

I can't help with one better than another but I can tell you that all three operate the same way.  It's just a war of semantics.  The only other option would be an electronic oscillator.  It would be superior, but as far as I know, no one makes one.

lithicbeads

• Administrator

Weight on the slabs has always been an issue as has uneven polishing as the polish starts first on the outside of the flat.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel

I can't help with one better than another but I can tell you that all three operate the same way.  It's just a war of semantics.  The only other option would be an electronic oscillator.  It would be superior, but as far as I know, no one makes one.

Is there a similar contraption out there used in other kinds of machinery? Or are you thinking of a brand new invention?

Slabbercabber

Is there a similar contraption out there used in other kinds of machinery? Or are you thinking of a brand new invention?

Diamond Pacific makes a vibra-sonic vibrating tumbler.  I think that's what it is called.  It is way faster and less damaging than traditional tumblers.  It would take a large power converter to run a flat lap with that system.  No doubt that is why I've not seen one.

Slabbercabber

I looked it up.  It's call Mini-sonic.

lithicbeads

• Administrator

I have seen extremely large vibrasonic tumblers  in commercial shops but they were special orders and wildly expensive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 39 queries.