Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ghetto homemade light box  (Read 3057 times)

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
Ghetto homemade light box
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:26:56 AM »

Been pretty lazy about the pictures I post up(ie using cell pics and not quality dslr pics and using whatever light was available)in the past and wanted to change it for the better as I'm making a push to sell items on etsy currently. So I made a very simple light box setup using a strand of full spectrum led lights I got at an ace hardware for 30bucks, the backside(white) of a large old photo print I made that never sold, some high quality toilet paper for diffusing light and my sweet baby a nikon D300s dslr with a 50mm F1.8 lens on it. I mounted(taped) the old photo print white side forward on the backside of a coffee table that wasn't in use that was sitting on top of a dresser(for proper height cause I like standing not sitting). I strung up the lights so light was coming from all directions and draped some tissue over the lights to help diffuse(spread) the light out to help reduce any harsh light reflections. I then setup my camera on a tripod and dialed in my settings. I cut out any other light sources other than the led lights( ie heavy dark curtains on windows, door to room shut making sure the only source of light was the LEDs). My camera settings were; iso500, F5-F9(depending on darkness of stone) and a speed of around 1/125sec white balance set to auto. After taking the shots I do some slight post production on photoshop cropping, adjusting exposure and sharpness slightly. Heres some examples of the final product=

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
Re: Ghetto homemade light box
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:28:50 AM »

Oh and here's a link to my etsy. I would love some feedback! https://www.etsy.com/shop/GergisRocks

ToTheSummit

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 05:35:57 AM »

Looks like you got the lighting dialed in nicely and the reflections are under control (thats always the biggest issue I come across when photographing cabs).  The only suggestion I have is a more neutral background.  The white background is too bright, especially for some of the lighter materials where you almost lose the edges.  The round jade works with this background but all the others would benefit from something a little darker.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 06:07:23 AM »

Hi Gergis!  Your pictures are looking very good.  I agree with ToTheSummit -- get a neutral background for your photos.  Try a medium/light color grey for your background. 

Your Etsy store looks great!  Good luck with your sales.   :headbang:
Robin

Debbie K

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 06:14:32 AM »

I like your light box, especially your diffuser! I also went to your Etsy site to take a look at the photos there.

Your photographs are nice and crisp, but the different backgrounds for the different pendants is a little jarring. The page would look better if the backgrounds were the same, or at least grouped with like backgrounds together.

I agree that the white background is too bright. I think that light gray is often the best background where your piece is what you want folks to look at. You might want to look at the graduated color paper that is sold for backgrounds; if you choose the darker or lighter portions of the paper at least the color and saturation would be the same even if the tone is different and it would give the pictures a sense of continuity when viewed on a page.

Debbie K

ToTheSummit

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 03:41:38 PM »

If you have a printer you can print out a photo gradient to use as a background.  Just search Google images "photo gradient" and you'll find tons of options.  I like to use one with my light box, like in this picture.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 03:42:52 PM »

Even in that picture my gradient is too light for the cab in my opinion.  You can find them in all shades and just print out the ones you like.

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 07:56:04 AM »

Thanks all for the constructive criticism! :-) I see what you all are saying about the background.  For now I'm gonna have to stick with a white or black background as its all I have access to currently and spending any more money is a no go as I got laid off a couple weeks back. Hence the extra time putting together this etsy page. Sooner or later I'll get a gradient background. :-)

crashoveroide

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 12:59:50 AM »

Hi...Gergis Your Method is good & i am still using it. but some times not matching a original colors
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.