Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why no Bingham/Kennecott chrysocolla?  (Read 1055 times)

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
why no Bingham/Kennecott chrysocolla?
« on: November 12, 2019, 03:25:09 PM »

I recently visited my brother who lives in Herriman, Utah. Herriman is a 'burb of Salt Lake City that sits in the southwest corner of the valley. The dominant sight from his front door is the Bingham copper mine tailings. The Bingham mine is one of the largest open pit copper mines in the world, and the mountain range (Oquirrh's) has reportedly produced substantial quantities of copper, silver, and gold. I would think it would be a source for collecting the copper complex that usually goes with copper mining that us lapidaries seek. I only had a couple days there with no time to go exploring but I'm wondering if anyone here knows whatsup with the Oquirrh mountains and collecting? Geologically speaking, it seems like a treasure trove for rockhounds, and so close to civilization! Have any of you Utahn's been out collecting there? I'm thinking I may have to slum it in my brothers basement next summer for a few days of prospecting.

Arizona and chrysocolla is a given, but what about Oquirrh chrysocolla? Does it exist?

ut_dirtdigger

Re: why no Bingham/Kennecott chrysocolla?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 01:21:31 PM »

Seeing that no one has responded to this topic for months I'll at least attempt to give an answer.  I'm not an expert just have lived in the area most my life.

In short there is no access to the Bingham/Kennecott copper mine tailings.  The whole mountain (not range but a good chunk of the range), is owned, posted, fenced and patrolled by the mining co.  As you go south of the mine (towards the mining town of Eureka) things open up a bit an you can find tailings from 19th century mines  but the Oquirrh range area is pretty much no access.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 29 queries.