Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple Buck Canoe folders. Crazy Lace and Wild Horse Picture Jasper  (Read 1775 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA

A couple new buck knives from this week.  I really enjoyed making the Wild Horse canoe.  Picture Jasper really adds a personal touch to the knives I think.

Not sure if any posts will appear twice each time I am posting today it times out and then the site can't be reached and then I have to set up the post all over again. 

Felicia

Well, wow looking good.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Nice fits !! Curious what type of glue do you use ? I've used Epoxy 330 with good results and I just sliced some Stone Canyon Jasper for a folding Buck 110 that I'll be making in the next few days. I think Michael Hoover uses Loctite 326 that uses a primer on one side and glue on the other. 

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA

Hey there, good question.  I have used the 326 but only on knives that don't have the scales encased between 2 bolsters.  I think Michael uses the 326 for things like his Case Peanuts that have the back bolster removed.  At that point you want to make sure that the scales never let go and as Michael told me once "if you use the 326 you would need to grind the scale off because it isn't letting go".  When I am fitting the stones it gets to the point where I have a hard time getting the scale to come back off just while fitting, let alone with epoxy.  At that point the 330 is the "go to" for me.  I have had issue with the 326 whereas I use the primer but I don't let it fume off enough so setting time is greatly reduced and I have had times where it set too fast making the perfect fit lucky.  I will still use the 326 with single bolster or no bolster blades since I want that strength, I just use a jig so that my placement is guaranteed before I set it.  Anything with 2 bolsters is 330 for the working time and then I just give it a solid 24 hour cure before moving to next phase of the knife.  Nice thing with the buck canoe is that the scale plus a strip of painters tape is the perfect fit for the center of the knife where the blade pocket is.  I put a strip of painters tape inside the pocket on the side I am gluing and then put a saran wrap around one of the wooden scales I removed into the blade pocket and that way when I clamp the scale on during glue up the pressure of the clamps doesn't deform your inner knife metal lining. and the wrap keeps any glue from messing things up.  I also use a strip of painters tape down the spine to keep that area also clear of epoxy.  Very little clean up that way.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

From your description of methods it sounds like your gluing one side at a time ?

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA

I have done both ways, one scale and both at the same time.  I prefer one at a time to constrain mess and spend more time making sure alignment is perfect.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist

Fascinating and fun to study such complex and abstract patterns. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Felicia

Thanks for putting the information out there on the adhesives. I don't make knives, but still good to know.

Ryaly2dogs

Beautiful work on both knives.  The inlay work turns something routine into a real treasure.  The owners will be stoked!

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA

Thanks much.  Yeah fortunately or Unfortunately these are just going back in the boxes.  I am just doing them for fun and the finished knives just sit in the boxes in a drawer.  Just like my cabs, I have thousands and not a single one on display except for my website and my belt buckle LOL.

Ryaly2dogs

Re: A couple Buck Canoe folders. Crazy Lace and Wild Horse Picture Jasper
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 04:51:17 PM »

Well, if you ever wish to part from one of them, let me know your price, they are beautiful. 

Speaking of which, I just visited your website and I must admit I have a soft spot for Dry Heads, Bakers, and the plumes.  Your photos do great justice to the beauty of each!  You have amassed through your industry and effort quite a showcase!   

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: A couple Buck Canoe folders. Crazy Lace and Wild Horse Picture Jasper
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 07:01:30 PM »

Thanks, I am really happy that you enjoyed the stones on the site.  I do love Dryhead also!  It is such a great banded agate! I sure miss the hunts on those Texas ranches, they were the best of the best.  SO glad I have totes of Bouquets to cut whenever they feel homesick.  The funny and possibly sad thing is when I got home from those trips the best material was set aside and most of what was cut was unknowns or likely candidates.  Aside from a few that were "had to cut" stones.  I have never really cut much of the Walker Ranch plume either and know that I should get around to more of it.

I should update the site again as I have a ton more cut stones to post.  I don't know html so I put the site together way back when using "ImageReady" which was an Adobe product, they stopped making it after CS2 which was, i don't know maybe 12 years ago?  Anyway they just stopped allowing you to install it even if you owned a copy since on install it requires authentication and they refuse to give a code even if they see you own it.  Next time I change computers the site might be toast, I am not sure I could pick up html nowadays. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 49 queries.