Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Common opal from Nevada  (Read 1713 times)

VegasJames

Common opal from Nevada
« on: October 26, 2020, 03:25:02 PM »

Some common opal rough I collected recently as well as slabs of the material and cabachons.

20200827_113115 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20200831_143136 by James Sloane, on Flickr

Video:

20200902_151123 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20200905_182435 by James Sloane, on Flickr

118882052_3422885837769714_4167399160304763993_o by James Sloane, on Flickr

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
Re: Common opal from Nevada
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 05:46:18 PM »

Is this opalized wood, or patterns just resemble growth rings?

Also, how robust is it when grinding? I seem to recall handling something similar, and it loved to split along the layers.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »

It looks like the Opalized wood from around Gabbs, NV.  If it is Gabbs, It tends to be pretty solid at least what I have collected.  Obviously with any material like this depends on which pile you pick up.   I have been happy with the material and haven't had much issue personally.  So is this Gabbs area James?  So much Oplaized wood in Nevada.

VegasJames

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:52:37 PM »

Is this opalized wood, or patterns just resemble growth rings?

Also, how robust is it when grinding? I seem to recall handling something similar, and it loved to split along the layers.

Some is definitely wood. I found one piece that you can clearly see the bark and the inner part of the tree in different colors.

It held up really well when cabbing. Some pieces did break during slabbing, but that was no big deal. The resulting pieces were still large enough to free form cab. Cut really easy with the trim saw.  Cabbing was slightly easier and faster than jaspers and agates and was pretty stable. I picked up some more colors recently and hope to get more cabbed soon.

VegasJames

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:58:57 PM »

It looks like the Opalized wood from around Gabbs, NV.  If it is Gabbs, It tends to be pretty solid at least what I have collected.  Obviously with any material like this depends on which pile you pick up.   I have been happy with the material and haven't had much issue personally.  So is this Gabbs area James?  So much Oplaized wood in Nevada.

Not from Gabbs. Been there a few times since I had relatives there and drove through once but have never collected in the area. This is much further North. Can't say exactly where as someone showed me there spot and it is not my place to say where their dig spot is.

Usually I get my common opal from further South and it is nice but all opaque. I like this material a lot better as a lot of it is translucent with some nice patterns and wide array of colors. I will get pics of the new material and post it when I get a chance.

Felicia

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 01:49:39 PM »

Nice solid stuff, colors and markings. Beautiful cabs.

VegasJames

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 07:44:38 PM »

Nice solid stuff, colors and markings. Beautiful cabs.

Thanks.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »

I commend you on respecting their find.  I have had the opposite and it was bad not only bringing in many people and groups but got to the point of endangering a local roadway and the Transportation department and Highway patrol involved.  It was a plume maybe 15 minutes from my house and it is all destroyed now, county made sure no one else would cause problems.  One Reason why I have never shared my Royal Mojave Agate spot and it is still intact.

VegasJames

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 09:26:20 PM »

I commend you on respecting their find.  I have had the opposite and it was bad not only bringing in many people and groups but got to the point of endangering a local roadway and the Transportation department and Highway patrol involved.  It was a plume maybe 15 minutes from my house and it is all destroyed now, county made sure no one else would cause problems.  One Reason why I have never shared my Royal Mojave Agate spot and it is still intact.

I have a Facebook page Southwest Rockhounding and Mining. I get a lot of people asking me locations on there and i have to keep explaining that I do not give out exact locations and warn others not to. Good way to have a place cleaned out, claimed or claim jumped. I will take people out sometimes to certain areas but not others unless I really know the person and trust them. I was also posting on a turquoise board once and people were trying to argue with me that a piece was not turquoise even though testing says it was. One guy kept asking me the location found, which I would not say anyway. Someone sent me a PM and said the guy trolls the turquoise boards to find locations then jumps the claims.

Along the same lines people need to also be aware that if you take photos of a site or stone in situ with their phones and some digital cameras make sure the GPS is turned off. If on when you take a photo the GPS coordinates are recorded with the photo information and anyone with the right software can read the coordinates.

Ricardo Furioso

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 10:25:18 PM »

Lovely stones. A little jealous. This is a very fine place. Thanks for sharing, from a newbie.
Lucky, and happy to be alive. Hope you are, too.

VegasJames

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 12:29:00 AM »

More common opal cabs.

Opal cabs 2 by James Sloane, on Flickr

AveIArts

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 09:25:30 AM »

Oh very nice! Thank you for posting beautiful pix.
...the answer my friend, is hidden under a rock!
Anita
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 48 queries.