Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highland Park 10 tsc. Looking for input on wheel layout  (Read 735 times)

Mitchapalooza

Highland Park 10 tsc. Looking for input on wheel layout
« on: July 18, 2021, 09:47:01 PM »

I am brand new to working with rocks this is my first endeavor with a cab machine. Looking for suggestions on wheel types such as best value/brand and what rating I should go with 280, 600, 1200, 3000? What the best layout for the wheels would be as well. It currently came with new 100 and 180 diamond wheels. I don’t plan to use the expandable drum. I also need to redo the water system no pump any suggestions appreciated. I would like to utilize 5 wheels realizing I’ll need to tap an additional water hole in the middle hood.

Thanks in advance,
Mitchell

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Highland Park 10 tsc. Looking for input on wheel layout
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 04:12:36 AM »

I have that same basic machine. If you really have access to the expando to change belt easily, I'd keep it for reasons evident below.
For historical reasons I have an 80 on the extreme right side and a 220 on the extreme left (where your expando is).  In the middle bay, I use soft "nova" wheels of 280, 600, and 1200.   All higher grits are achieved with diamond belts on expando wheels on another machine (2  wheel lortone).  I used gravity feed on the water supply for awhile but found that I was not getting enough water to the wheels causing them to stain or wear unevenly.  I thus switch to a cheap fountain pump and except when my supply tubes get kinked or partially plugged I have great water supply. Some pumps are not strong enough to raise the water from floor level, and hence my supply bucket is at machine level giving me a minimal lift demand.  Using belts provides so much flexibility in terms of grit availability and I can use new or worn belt, or even silica carbide belts when the situation calls of aggression, care, or disposability. I hope this helps your thinking. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 06:31:27 AM »

I agree peruano, keep the SC belt.  There are so many stones that just react better to SC when you want to eliminate small scratches or just have a big cabochon to work. Dozens of other reasons as stated already...  Expando drum with SC can be a life saver / time saver.

Stonemon

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 01:13:43 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Bill

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 07:47:04 PM »

Hello again.

I replied to your initial post before I saw this one.

You can use the Nova wheels, for sure, but I really like the extra width of the expando belts.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 07:14:30 AM »

I have a similar unit. I also have an additional separate two wheel unit that I have 80 and 120 diamond grit on. That's where I begin the ruff shaping. Then off to the expando wheel on my HP unit using anything from a worn 80 grit all the way through 1000 grit. I have removed the end leather disc and replaced it with the expando wheel so I can easily replace the belts as I go through the different grits. You can always get a leather belt for the expano if you think you need it.

I built a splash housing for the expando with a hinged lid to make it easier to replace the belts. My units water supply is gravity fed from a 3 gallon jug I refill as needed. Works OK however I'd prefer to have a little more force behind the water flow so I'd consider a pump.
 Don't discount the expano wheel.  The expando has a little "give" so its easier to get pieces that are fairer and with less facets. You also have a greater surface area to work on and less heat build up. 
Putting nova  wheels on this unit too close together for the sake having lots of different grits will hinder your hand movement to the sides of the wheels if you work free hand without dop sticks as I do. I primarily make pendants and do not dop.

My HP unit has (from left to right) a polishing buff (which is contained in its own space) a 3000 nova, 1200 nova and then the expando wheel. I have belts for the wheel from 80 grit to 1000.   
IMG_4550.jpg
*IMG_4550.jpg (80.79 kB . 600x450 - viewed 173 times)     

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 12:23:10 PM »

After a bit of thought, I'm suspecting that the original poster does not have an expando (on the left end), because there would not be room for belt changing.  Is it really a thumper ?  Now an expando on the right end would be good but that end of the shaft probably does not have threads so set screw secured collars would have to be used on each side of the wheel (at least thats what I had to do).  I installed a hard wheel on the left end (where the buffer had been); 3 soft wheels between the bearings, and another hard wheel on the right (where an expando could be used instead).  I too used gravity feed water for a while but was not satisfied with water volume and went a small fountain pump. I still have my water supply at the level or slightly above the machine so the lift for water is minimal and volume is maximized. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Mitchapalooza

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 08:13:59 PM »

Thanks everyone,  for the thoughts and recommendations when I got it the expandable drum was on the interior so not the most convenient for swapping belts. I think I’ll likely go in the direction of Peruano’s layout. I really like the splash housing you made Kent. How much to commission one? About a month earlier I purchased a similar unit a B10. Little rougher shape, with rough modifications. Works but this most recent one I want make up real nice. Sense it’s been so well maintained. Definitely a process, but very antsy to be able to work some stone from beginning to end

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 08:00:22 AM »

The spray shield and pan look like the old Lortone set. You might find them online. I bought a set a couple of years ago.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 09:22:40 AM »

Covington Engineering makes hoods and pans

https://covington-engineering.com/search.php?search_query=hoods

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 42 queries.