Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this really Bisbee turquoise?  (Read 569 times)

Raccoon

Is this really Bisbee turquoise?
« on: August 25, 2021, 07:52:41 PM »

Hello all,

I ordered this 1.45 oz piece of turquoise from a seller who strikes me as reputable.
I think it's beautiful, but... Bisbee turquoise is known for it's red matrix, right? Whereas this is green.
It does look to have that "smoky" effect I've read about.

I'm also curious as to whether it's stabilized, only because we were originally talking about non-stabilized, and I think that point may have fallen by the wayside. There are some glossy areas on the rough part that I thought might be resin.

Sorry to ask before introducing; I'm Raccoon, and I like rocks! Thanks for reading  :hello:

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Is this really Bisbee turquoise?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 04:40:04 AM »

One standard test for stabilized vs. untreated is to touch the end of your tongue to it.  It there is a slight tuck due to the porosity of the stone pulling water from your tongue its untreated. I guess you would call it hydroscopic.   If treated there is no such effect.
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 08:09:58 AM »

I find the inside of my bottom lip to work much better than tongue.

Another test is to try burning a small chunk at the tip of a flame of a lighter: resin-impregnated turquoise will give off the characteristic plasticy smell, while untreated pieces are unremarkable. Note this only works with polymer-stabilized turquoise, not with Zachary treated material which is very hard to detect with certainty without spectroscopy.

Stonemon

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 08:24:05 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

Bill

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 06:42:14 PM »

heres some photos of my stabilized peekaboo Bisbee

Raccoon

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 04:57:53 PM »

Phishisgroovin,
See, that's more what I think of when I think of Bisbee turquoise!
I re-watched the Durango Silver Youtube videos about Bisbee turquoise, and they had a couple that maybe looked like mine... I dunno.
Bisbee or not, it's really pretty and it's hard to refrain from cutting it.

Raccoon

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 05:11:54 PM »

I've heard that about the lip/tongue test, but I've also heard that that doesn't work with gem grade turquoise.
But I've also heard that gem grade turquoise is extremely rare; so upon reflection, there's no reason I ought to have expected a piece that size to be natural at the price I paid. :grin:

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 07:35:43 PM »

i can clearly see that your stone is stabilized, the chalky texture or natural turquoise just isnt there.

VegasJames

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 12:51:03 AM »

I've heard that about the lip/tongue test, but I've also heard that that doesn't work with gem grade turquoise.
But I've also heard that gem grade turquoise is extremely rare; so upon reflection, there's no reason I ought to have expected a piece that size to be natural at the price I paid. :grin:

Yes, gem grade turquoise is very rare and not porous like most turquoise and so does not suck up moisture the way lower grade turquoise will. About 95% of the turquoise on the market is stabilized, usually with epoxy although there are ways to stabilize turquoise without plastic resins.

Here is naturally hard turquoise I dug up:

20160919_133414-1 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20160919_133229-1 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20160919_133216-1 by James Sloane, on Flickr

And some cabs I made from some other turquoise from another nearby mine.
20160828_164825 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20160828_164758 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20160828_164640 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20160828_164515 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20160828_164426 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20160828_164157 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20160828_164113 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20160828_163842 by James Sloane, on Flickr

3 pound chunk I have been hand polishing.

20180908_150959 by James Sloane, on Flickr

And a necklace, earrings and ring made from the unstabilized material.

20161108_230632-1 - Copy by James Sloane, on Flickr

Digging for the material. The arrows show the 3 pound chunks I dug out.

20170214_154300-1-copy by James Sloane, on Flickr

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 06:57:41 AM »

It must be great to be able to find and collect turquoise solid enough to cut. Not many people get to do that.

Nice cabs, and great jewelry.

Thanks for the very informative photos with the rough and cabs shown together.

Raccoon

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 06:57:43 PM »

Wow, those are gorgeous! It looks brittle, what is it like to cut?

I found some turquoise, too ... Don't laugh.

Photo 1: hard Bisbee nuggets found by me and my partner; I worked them a little and even made that tiny cabochon; it is stable. Not sure about the greenish piece though, or even if it's turquoise.

Photo 2: Other copper mineral-and maybe turquoise- containing rocks I found in Bisbee, which will have to be stabilized.

Photo 3: Some of the first cabochons I've completed. A couple stabilized turquoise-maybes, and a ... Chrysocola?

VegasJames

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 08:55:05 PM »

Wow, those are gorgeous! It looks brittle, what is it like to cut?

I found some turquoise, too ... Don't laugh.

Photo 1: hard Bisbee nuggets found by me and my partner; I worked them a little and even made that tiny cabochon; it is stable. Not sure about the greenish piece though, or even if it's turquoise.

Photo 2: Other copper mineral-and maybe turquoise- containing rocks I found in Bisbee, which will have to be stabilized.

Photo 3: Some of the first cabochons I've completed. A couple stabilized turquoise-maybes, and a ... Chrysocola?

The heavily veined material tends to be brittle on the surface, but the deeper part of the stones is quite solid. the second and third photos are pieces I ground off the crumbly surface and face polished the rest of these pieces and they held together fine.

The more solid blue to green is easy to cut and does not crumble at all.

Here is what was my favorite piece until someone dropped it on a tile floor busting it in to three pieces.

20160928_134842 by James Sloane, on Flickr

And some more examples of the raw material from the mine.  All naturally hard and stable and easy to cut and work.

20160517_155522 by James Sloane, on Flickr

20160413_144047 by James Sloane, on Flickr

You have some nice pieces there. To ID the stones though it is best to run some tests. For example, turquoise is generally harder and denser than chrysocolla. Chrysocolla also does not react to concentrated hydrochloric acid. The main confirmation for myself was running a phosphate test.There are several means of doing this. I used hydrochloric acid o dissolve a piece of the stone then used a phosphate test kit to test for the presence of phosphate in the resultant solution, which tested very high.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 46 queries.