Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best practices to avoid cross-contamination of silicon carbide grit  (Read 252 times)

R.U. Sirius

I am about to start running the vibratory flat lap for the first time, and was hoping for some advice regarding hygiene when storing and handling grit. What are some dos and don'ts?

I am planning to store the grit in plastic bags, each bag in its hard plastic container.

Each grit size will have a dedicated measuring scoop with it.

Is it sufficient to store them all on the same shelf (and only handle one at a time), or would you recommend different parts of the shop?

Either way, do I bring my 20-inch pan to the grit and, after adding water from a spray bottle, carry it back to the machine, or do I bring the grit pack to the machine?

When changing grits, I am planning to first take the rocks off the pan and place them into a bucket, then carry the pan and the bucket to a shower, and carefully rinse it all above a tray to prevent the grit from running off down the drain.

Of course, washing hands or using disposable gloves, and cleaning up any spills and splashes.

My machine came with a separate polishing pan with a carpet; is it a good idea to try and keep it sealed between the runs, so tin oxide never dries out? Won't it get all moldy and stinky after a while? Otherwise, how to clean it up between the runs? Do tin oxide particles cement together if allowed to dry out?

What are some things you wished you knew when you were first starting to handle SiC and polish powders?

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Best practices to avoid cross-contamination of silicon carbide grit
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 06:53:18 AM »

Your oxides will dry out on a polishing pad, but will be fine if you spray to wet them before the next use. So you don't have to seal them up completely. Just enough to keep airborne particles off.

I keep a polished chunk of opal potch around to check for contaminants, but any rock that is around 6-7 mohs will do. Just run your test piece on the lap before you get going to make sure it doesn't show scratches.

Don't have any experience with the vibe lap, but as long as your pan is clean you should be able to charge it with the next grit anywhere you want. I'd probably just carry the next grit container to the lap.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Best practices to avoid cross-contamination of silicon carbide grit
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 08:10:21 PM »

Stone swarf and use git turn to cement in drains.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 28 queries.