Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Stonemon and his Blue Biggs Jasper Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it  (Read 8904 times)

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2018, 11:58:03 PM »

Are masks, the kind with rubber bands sufficient?  What about respirators?  I have heard that Cerium O is not a good thing to breathe without something to block that dust floating in the air.  I have one lung left from Vietnam, so I want to be sure to keep it functioning, of course.  All opinions are welcome.  I use the rubber band kind when grinding/sanding/polishing, and a Harbor Freight respirator when using polishing agents like CO / TO/ Linde A/ #61 Rapid Polish, etc.  I think this is important as all of you guys are rare and there are not a lot of us.

I use a 3M mask like this one:

3M(TM) Half Facepiece Respirator Assembly 6291/07002(AAD), Medium, with 3M(TM) Particulate Filters 2091/07000(AAD), P100

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Facepiece-Respirator-6291-Particulate/dp/B000FTEDMM/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1514965877&sr=1-6&keywords=3m+mask

The disposable ones are lighter but they wear out quickly so the 3M is more economical long term.

I also had a big eye scare this summer when I was grinding without safety glasses. A particle grazed my eye and I was lucky it didn't go in. I now ALWAYS wear safety glasses. I got these and they are excellent:

3M Virtua CCS Protective Eyewear 11872-00000-20, Foam Gasket, Anti Fog Lens, Clear

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEXKR4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 24 queries.