Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to ToTheSummit and his Condor Cab!

 www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it  (Read 14134 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bluetangclan

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« on: January 25, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »

Only because I saw something that had me thinking, is there any danger of a poisonous(toxic) rock, say malachite or tigerseye, causing any problems for someone wearing it over the long term? I would think not once its polished and done. I usually wirewrap the few I have done so I don't even think they touch the skin but still, suppose its a bead type pendant.
Logged


hummingbirdstones

  • Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2718
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »

Most of the toxic rocks are only toxic if you are breathing in the dust as you cut them.
Logged
Robin

fossilman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 174
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »

LOL,just don't lick them.......... Most finished material is sealed too,so no worries.....Bubble Bee Jasper would be on that list too......

That would be a great topic for the forum,posting up the toxic rocks,to give people a heads up,when working that material...
Logged
God,family and life!!

Bluetangclan

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »

I didn't think it was a problem outside of working them. What do you mean by sealing them? I finish the polish, hit them with either zam or cerium oxide and call it a day.
Off hand I know of
Malachite
Tiger's Eye(and its family members)
Bumble Bee "jasper"
Chrysocalla(sp?)
Pietersite

I have been told to wear a mask when working on any fossil. Could be an old wives tale passed on as "truth"
Logged

Stonemon

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 446
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 01:11:06 PM »

Add Trent Agate....
Bill
Logged


Bill

fossilman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 174
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 01:18:59 PM »

I didn't think it was a problem outside of working them. What do you mean by sealing them? I finish the polish, hit them with either zam or cerium oxide and call it a day.
Off hand I know of
Malachite
Tiger's Eye(and its family members)
Bumble Bee "jasper"
Chrysocalla(sp?)
Pietersite

I have been told to wear a mask when working on any fossil. Could be an old wives tale passed on as "truth"

Yuppers fossils were a living creature and give off a foul smell,plus the dust will harm your lungs!!!
Logged
God,family and life!!

fossilman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 174
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 01:20:29 PM »

I didn't think it was a problem outside of working them. What do you mean by sealing them? I finish the polish, hit them with either zam or cerium oxide and call it a day.
Off hand I know of
Malachite
Tiger's Eye(and its family members)
Bumble Bee "jasper"
Chrysocalla(sp?)
Pietersite

I have been told to wear a mask when working on any fossil. Could be an old wives tale passed on as "truth"

Quote" hit them with either zam or cerium oxide and call it a day. "Quote.... That is a seal....
Logged
God,family and life!!

Bluetangclan

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 01:45:37 PM »

Well there you go lol.
Logged

Windenzee

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 89
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 12:09:33 AM »

You need to add Black Coral to the list as well
Logged

ileney

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 449
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 08:30:38 AM »

Is it necessary or advisable to wear rubber gloves when cabbing any of these?

What about lapis? It turns the water blue and has a smell. Is it toxic at all?

Logged

Stonemon

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 446
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »

Ileney,
I wear a respirator, nitrile gloves. eye protection, and a plastic smock when I cut the Trent Agate. I don't think a few will hurt you but when you cut a lot of toxic material, I think discretion is advisable.
Bill
Logged


Bill

ileney

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 449
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »

Hmmm...I've been cutting quite a bit of chrysocola and lapis on my trim saw and pixie - near the kitchen table. Maybe I need to think about how to do this more carefully. Thank you for the advice.
Logged

Silverstone

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »

My own rules also include mask and gloves when working on anything that came from living being such as dinosaur bone, horn, seashells, petrified anything, fossil anything.  Thing about bacteria and in silica in case of seashells I believe.  Any kind of shell or coral should be well vented.  If you are working and get any kind of metallic taste in your mouth, get a mask on.  Protect your lungs, liver, kidney, neuro system, and skin.
Logged
How many roads must a man walk down before he admits he is lost?

finegemdesigns

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 209
    • finegemdesigns
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 09:03:09 AM »

Most finished gems like Trent Agate are considered non-soluble as far as their minerals such as arsenic. But you need to wear a mask if you are grinding or polishing them. Smaller tiny dust particles could be a problem if inhaled or ingested. But a finished gem is not a hazard like this. This is my opinion and is based on research I have done in the past and doesn't constitute any kind of medical advice. IMO the vast majority of these gems such as Trent Agate, Myrickite and all the copper based gems are completely safe to wear.

Note: This subject comes up every few years so maybe put a sticky somewhere on the website for newbies?
Logged

Enchantra

  • Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2664
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Poisonous(toxic) rock and wearing it
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 10:13:25 AM »


Note: This subject comes up every few years so maybe put a sticky somewhere on the website for newbies?

Good point.  It's done.
Logged
-Amanda
http://www.pinterest.com/amandabielski/
https://www.facebook.com/enchantedregalia/

Coincidence is G-d's way of staying anonymous.  -Rabbi David Abrahams

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
 

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 55 queries.