Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two little yellow cabs out of..um..not sure.  (Read 1235 times)

Quitclayton

• I spelled my own name wrong..bugger.
Two little yellow cabs out of..um..not sure.
« on: October 09, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »

I polished up these two cabs the other day...not really sure what they may be but they have a nice color mix and a much deeper shine than the pic shows.

My mother brought me a 5 pound plastic container of "decorative stones" saying that they had a lot of pretty colors and thought they may look good polished up. So I picked out these two first and gave them a try. Odd thing is, all the stones have a was coating on them...probably to keep them from being noisy or making dust I guess. Anyhow, to my surprise these polished up nicely. I'm anxious to see what the other colors turn out to be.

As for now, I believe I will call these "Yellow Walmart-ium" until a more precise name can be determined.

1006171948.jpg
*1006171948.jpg (30.23 kB . 450x800 - viewed 380 times)

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Two little yellow cabs out of..um..not sure.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »

Soaking rocks in wax is an old world technique for enhancing shine.  You often can smell a lard or oil smell in such situations. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Quitclayton

• I spelled my own name wrong..bugger.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »

Interesting...I had no idea that was done. I checked these out for any smells and they have none, so whoever did them must have used some decent wax at least.

The container says made in China, so that's all I've got to go on. The was did make them much more lustrous than they most likely would have appeared had they just been natural, as they are not polished or tumbled at all. I melted the was off a few to check.

southerly

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 07:49:18 PM »

Those stones both look like prehnite.

The bags of landscaping stones are often rolled in a varnish or epoxy to make them shiny after a rough tumble in a cement mixer.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 33 queries.