Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to auscarver and his Aussie Rhodonite Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please id-ing my most prized piece!  (Read 322 times)

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
Help please id-ing my most prized piece!
« on: January 26, 2018, 05:15:12 PM »

I have been labeling my signature piece [literally, the one I use in my profile] as a piece of jasper. I found it on the beach in Newport, OR in the early '80's.
However, I cannot find a more definitive name for it...or is there one?
I will be using it as part of a display at our annual Gem show, and I would love to fully ID it. Y'all are aces at identifying things, it blows me away (a little flattery to grease the wheels  :icon_thumright:
thanks!

My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
Re: Help please id-ing my most prized piece!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »

How about a full size photo of the cab?  The photo of the rough is not clear and the profile photo way too small to ID with.

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »

Yes, better photos please.   The end looks greasy and smooth which is common in many jaspers of the northwest. But a more specific "real" name may not exist other than beach jasper. One of my favorites is a blue-green jasper with pyrite swirls found in your area, also in browns. It has been given a dozen names and the latest one I saw was Storm Jasper by a guy selling it. Most people in this area have collected it because you can find it from Astoria to south past Newport.  good luck

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 09:16:56 AM »

Here are three cabs from this stone - the bracelet is back in the Northwest on my daughter's wrist :)
This is the best I could get after a dozen shots. Thank you for any input.
My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »

Hard to say, I opened and magnified the pics and it looks like it could be a petrified wood of some type.  I don't see distinct grain or cells but some areas look like they might have some, I just can't see it in the pics.  If I picked it up my first guess would be wood.  There are a lot more people with more local knowledge of the area it was found in that may have a better clue.

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 07:12:40 AM »

Hard to say, I opened and magnified the pics and it looks like it could be a petrified wood of some type.  I don't see distinct grain or cells but some areas look like they might have some, I just can't see it in the pics.  If I picked it up my first guess would be wood.  There are a lot more people with more local knowledge of the area it was found in that may have a better clue.
I was entertaining that thought too, from a google search where I saw rocks of very similar colors and "texture" the rough piece has and it was noted as Petrified Wood. But I don't see "distinct grains or cells" in the cab up close (???)
Hopefully some Oregonian sees this and recognizes it!
Many thanks!!

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »

i have a bunch of this also. common western oregon yellow jasper.
all mine are smaller pieces from tillamook river area
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.