Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Stonemon and his Blue Biggs Jasper Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bails on cabs...  (Read 282 times)

axllaird

Bails on cabs...
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:59:59 PM »

trying E6000 glue to attach bails after reading a few posts on here as i was getting into a bit of a mess with epoxy resin. All of the following creations have a home already and i'm being asked if i can make things i've never heard of(although granted my jewellery knowledge is limited)...is this how it happened for most people on here? You start making bits and bobs for friends and family then it grows arms and legs...all the stones from the east coast of Scotland.

DCAM0054.JPG
*DCAM0054.JPG (433.83 kB . 800x600 - viewed 108 times)
DCAM0056.JPG
*DCAM0056.JPG (437.99 kB . 800x600 - viewed 109 times)
DCAM0057.JPG
*DCAM0057.JPG (335.06 kB . 800x600 - viewed 109 times)

yukonjade

Re: Bails on cabs...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:13:05 PM »

I would put a small amount of 6000 on a flat surface and apply it to the bail with a toothpick. :icon_thumleft:

axllaird

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 04:29:09 PM »

Thanks Yukonjade i was applying it to the stone, looking at the pics now i can spot it. Will do that next time. Cheers :occasion14:

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 04:32:50 PM »

Buy a bunch of 1MM diamond plated drill bits.  Dill a hole through the pendant and use pinch bails.  Soild sterling silver ones are only a couple of dollars each.

axllaird

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 04:45:01 PM »

thanks Redrummd, should the bail hole be filled with glue/epoxy to stop the pinch bail moving? and thinking ahead drill the hole before shaping and polishing? Cheers...

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 10:17:08 PM »

thanks Redrummd, should the bail hole be filled with glue/epoxy to stop the pinch bail moving? and thinking ahead drill the hole before shaping and polishing? Cheers...

1) I drill after 600 grit.
2) I use no glue but use sterling silver pinch bails.
3) I use parallel pliers to squeeze them tight and use a rouge buff if I scratch the bail and sometimes to remove the SS markings if it is designed wear with either side showing.

axllaird

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 04:40:49 AM »

Thanks Redrumd, much appreciated.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 04:57:28 AM »

In answer to your question yes that's how many folks started.  Then you start worrying about how to grind a flatter spot for the attachment, and then how to better shape, polish, or lighten that stone. First it was a tumbler, then a grinder, then a small saw, then a bigger saw, and then you have more money invested than in your spouse's piano. But you probably will use it just as often and make just as beautiful a product as the spouse's musical efforts.  Keep up the effort. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Slabbercabber

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 05:18:49 AM »

[/quote]

3) I use parallel pliers to squeeze them tight and use a rouge buff if I scratch the bail and sometimes to remove the SS markings if it is designed wear with either side showing.
[/quote]

I have a pair of parallel jaw opticians' pliers.  The jaws are covered with leather.  They are also available with neoprene covered jaws.  I also like to use a spot of adhesive just for insurance.

axllaird

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 02:13:22 PM »

Peruano great answer lol i see a long road before me... :Worthy:

Slabbercabber leather on the jaws cutting down the marking when pinching superb  :icon_sunny:

thanks for all the replies guys, cheers.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »

Pinch bails without epoxy are the best but if you do some with epoxy:

A rough surface on the surfaces of the bail and stone will help for better adhesion. Also use the best quality of epoxy you can afford since better won't yellow and degrade over time as quickly. This is especially important if the epoxy is visible at the edges of your bail and with lighter colored gems.

axllaird

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 04:06:09 PM »

Thanks finegemdesigns, i have a small art design epoxy kit i need to get the hang of, great advice, cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 46 queries.