Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use striped African blue common opal in bracelets?  (Read 1456 times)

ileney

Can I use striped African blue common opal in bracelets?
« on: June 04, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »

Hi all, are you familiar with the blue opal (no color play, but often white, black and gray stripes) coming out of Africa? I recently bought some already thinly cut (because it was cheaper than the wear and tear to do it myself and I can always repolish). They may have been intended for earrings, but I thought how great in infinity style bracelets, going around the arm, encased in sterling bezels. But then I thought opal isn't so hard and threse are pretty thin already before I repolish; you might lean on those bracelets.

What do you think? Can it take normal wear and tear if encased in sterling bezel? Have you seen this material in person? I'm buying online sight unseen. This is similar to what I bought.
https://i.etsystatic.com/16408003/r/il/0da9b0/1881907112/il_794xN.1881907112_hw2k.jpg

Slabbercabber

Re: Can I use striped African blue common opal in bracelets?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 03:36:12 PM »

If I were going to use opal in a bracelet I would make it a doublet.  Since it is already thin this may be a possibility.  Can you grind it flat enough for a quartz cap?

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Can I use striped African blue common opal in bracelets?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 08:18:53 AM »

I would do the doublet thing myself if I were going to do an opal bracelet.  Bracelets get a lot of abuse, getting whacked on all sorts of things.  If it's possible, a quartz cap on them would make them pretty sturdy.
Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 31 queries.