Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to auscarver and his Rhodonite/Jasper Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to me 14" CONTEMPO saw. Advice needed!  (Read 226 times)

pburchett

New to me 14" CONTEMPO saw. Advice needed!
« on: July 08, 2019, 06:11:00 PM »

I just purchases a 14” COMTEMPO lapidary saw from a university auction.  The saw has been neglected in the fact that it looks to never have been cleaned.  There was 2 inches of sediment in the bottom and the saw was covered in dried oil and rock sediment.  I almost have the saw cleaned now.

The saw looks in good condition (except for being dirty) and the bearings are tight.  It has a continuous rim lapidary saw blade on it that looks to be in good condition.  I have no experience with these blades so, I am going to try it anyway.  The saw box, table top and vise are made of aluminum. The vise has lateral travel and an adjustable automatic cut off switch for when the power feed vise is at the end of the cut.  Below the cut off switch is a receptacle that is wired to the shut off switch.  Should I plug the saw into the receptacle so the blade motor shuts off when the power feed vise is at the end of its travel? 

I plan on cutting chert or flint into slabs.  What oil should I use?  Would Aspen Pet Mineral Oil  which is used as a mild laxative of large animals and available at my Tractor Supply for $17 a gallon be OK?  If this oil is not suitable could someone recommend an affordable oil for this application.  I have seen oil online for as low as $20 but the shipping is normally $25 a gallon which makes its price per gallon outrageous! 
Thanks for any advice.

Stonemon

Re: New to me 14" CONTEMPO saw. Advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 06:48:16 PM »

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good knowledge and advice here.
Though I am not sure my advice would qualify as good I am happy to give it anyway... Yes, plug the saw into the shut off as that way the whole unit huts down when it is done
The light mineral oil works well. That being said I have come to believe that it holds more cuttings in suspension that some of the more pricey oils. Things do not settle as fast as with the others. I still run the light mineral oil in my 12" saw but have filled my 24" with a more standard lapidary oil...
My 2 cents.
Once again, Welcome!

Below the cut off switch is a receptacle that is wired to the shut off switch.  Should I plug the saw into the receptacle so the blade motor shuts off when the power feed vise is at the end of its travel?

I plan on cutting chert or flint into slabs.  What oil should I use?  Would Aspen Pet Mineral Oil  which is used as a mild laxative of large animals and available at my Tractor Supply for $17 a gallon be OK?  If this oil is not suitable could someone recommend an affordable oil for this application.

Bill

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 07:11:15 AM »

Everything Stonemon said is true.  I tend to like horse laxative (17 or so at Tractor Supply) but the sediment does stay in suspension at bit more than the lapidary oils.  That makes it easier to get out of the saw box and filter in paper bags whereas the stuff that settles the sludge out leaves a rubbery layer in the bottom of the saw tank that must be putty knifed out and while saw cleanouts are not as frequent, they sure are a messy task.  Blades are like motorcycle oils (everyone has a different checkbook limit and idea about what is ideal). I've been using an MK 225 blade originally designed for porcelain for several years of hard work on agates and pet wood and found it extremely durable.  I think it is designed like a big diameter blade even in the smaller sizes. Clearly MK 301 and 303 blades are good and there are some good inexpensive alternatives but they must be proven in your shop and with your type of cutting.  Yes you want your saw to shut down when the sled reaches the specified end of travel. Watching a rock saw is interesting but eventually you will get distracted, called away, or multitask to divert your attention beyond the end of the cut. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »

Someone posted this place awhile back. I bought 4 gallons and the shipping was free.

https://www.scahealth.com/scah/product/ultracruz-mineral-oil-light

pburchett

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »

Thanks for the information.   I have the saw cleaned up, and put back together.  My son and I built a table for it and put casters underneath so we could move it around in the shop.     We used water as a guide to see how much oil we will need.  Turns out it will require 2.5 gallons of oil.  Well since we had it all together we put a section of soft sandstone in and cut about an inch to make sure everything worked well.  The blade on the saw is a Raytech Black Blazer.  After we get some oil I may need to fabricate a shield or cover for all of the spray and splatter.   Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 35 queries.