Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to auscarver and his Rhodonite/Jasper Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me name this  (Read 295 times)

Kaljaia

Help me name this
« on: July 08, 2019, 10:37:16 PM »

It's a quartz crystal ball, solid, fused all the way through. Forms inside vesicular basalt flows, weathers out. I'm looking for a better name than "geode," because it seems distinct from a hollow form. I polished the skin off one side to show the crystals and highlight the pits. Does this formation of quartz have a proper name? I'm putting together a little display case of local rock, crystal and agate types for the fun of it but I'm stumped on what to call this because apparently "quartz crystal vesicle" is not a name anyone else uses :P but it seems plenty descriptive here!

- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon. 90% of what I post is from this area, from private property where I have permission to hike and collect. The material I find is for personal use only, I do not have landowner permission to sell. Thanks for understanding!

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Help me name this
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 06:59:07 AM »

Try the quartz page website. I find something I didn't know every time I read on it. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »

Typical of quartz that wanted to form terminations but did not have room. Lots of similar stuff in granite vugs in the Sawtooths.

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »

When I made this post I forgot about amygdules. Going with fused quartz crystal amygdule.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon. 90% of what I post is from this area, from private property where I have permission to hike and collect. The material I find is for personal use only, I do not have landowner permission to sell. Thanks for understanding!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.