Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What does a whole copper agate look like unopened?  (Read 1336 times)

EmeraldEyes

What does a whole copper agate look like unopened?
« on: September 04, 2019, 06:15:46 AM »

I have been trying to find out about this subject via the web search  :Bash:  but with no luck.

I have many agates some found some bought on ebay and Facebook. I have some that I suspect may have copper in them but being that I am just learning about the subject I need more information on copper agates. I know that most have been found in Michigan, I know what one looks like sliced open but I have not found a picture of one unopened. If there is anyone who knows about copper agates can you please let me know?

Thank you very much

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: What does a whole copper agate look like unopened?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 07:40:35 AM »

The ones from
China are black on the outside.High copper oxide content makes things black and the outside of nodules are usually very well oxidized.

rocks2dust

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 10:31:58 AM »

The weathered pieces from Michigan's UP that mostly are picked up from mining tailings tend to range from dark to medium green oxidation crusts, to white, brown and other colors of associated minerals. You can sometimes see a bit of pink, white or green color agate peeking through chips. Like datolite, thomsonite and similar materials from this area, they form inside basalt vesicles and. so, tend to be small. Here are photos of a few that I happened to have next to my desk. Second photo shows 2 agates still within the dark gray vesicular basalt.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »

I have some that I dig in the Mojave desert.  I have some pics of them cut but I'll have to get into my tray to find a rough piece.  Most of the material from the area is Black with Blue spots located throughout the stone due to the copper and the copper shows as small spots.  I'll try and get a pic in the next day or 2 for you.  Biggest piece I found was about cantelope size but I hit it with my hammer and my hammer broke shooting a piece of the metal through my arm.  In the rush to stop the bleeding and get to a hospital I stupidly forgot to pick up the material.

rocks2dust

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 12:59:13 PM »

Biggest piece I found was about cantelope size but I hit it with my hammer and my hammer broke shooting a piece of the metal through my arm.  In the rush to stop the bleeding and get to a hospital I stupidly forgot to pick up the material.
Oh man, I'd liked to have seen that (the rock, not especially your bloodied arm)!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 35 queries.