Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to auscarver and his Rhodonite/Jasper Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ethopian opal fill  (Read 165 times)

isabelle

ethopian opal fill
« on: October 07, 2019, 09:53:48 AM »

I have an opal I have sanded and polished.  It's a pretty nice size and I would to keep the large dome.  Unfortunately the bottom has a pretty big pit.  I have thought about using the dust from the polishing and making a slurry with super glue or epoxy and the sanding smooth so I can set it.

Any ideas if this is doable or better idea?   I'd like to post a pic but can't seem to be able to navigate the img toggle.  Help!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: ethopian opal fill
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 04:52:23 PM »

If the stone is not going to fall apart without filling it the main consideration would be its visibility from the top of the stone. If you are selling the stone full disclosure is wise set or not.  40 years ago it would have simply been backed and called a doublet  but those are less popular  option now for some reason.

isabelle

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 06:23:54 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  Yeh doublets and triplets really can devalue the stone.  My concern with the pit, while not seen from the face and not currently a fracture concern, may after time cause stress on the stone.  I think I will probably do a fill and keep the stone in my possession.  I have a friend that is a vendor of the stuff so I have plenty of others to work.  I have been collecting them for several years now and just started working them.  I didn't realize how soft they were.  I understand they are quite brittle as well.  That or I am going to have to grind the base down......ugh.

I have a great brown sugar colored one with honeycomb pattern that I am trying to free form.  Any word on drilling the stones?  I would hate for it to fracture while trying to put do a pearl mount.

Also, my vendor has started to tumble the stuff, It looks absolutely beautiful but I have heard horror stories on tumbling ethopian opal.  Anyone got info on this?

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 08:20:31 PM »

I worked for an opal mine and the owner tried tumbling opal every way possible for decades. Never worked.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 03:06:26 PM »

I would just fill the pit with Hxtal and call it good.  If you are only concerned about it not spider webbing at some point and you can't see it from the face of the stone, that's the easiest way I can think of.

I have never attempted to drill a Welo, so can't answer that question. 
Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 35 queries.