Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions on Polisher Set Up  (Read 429 times)

Downwindtracker2

Questions on Polisher Set Up
« on: December 29, 2019, 09:24:28 PM »

Sometimes you are so lost you don't even know how to phrase the question. I need some recommendations . The club has rented a basement at a community hall for a shop and I'm setting up it up. Others help but I guess I'm leading. My wife is the rockhound, I'm not. But I am a retired millwright and machinery set up is what I did.

For now, I'm setting up six arbors. Five are 6" Loratone doubles and one 6" Mercury triple. The Loratones were set up with a 100grit diamond wheel, an expando , and  6" disc on the diamond wheel end. The 6" Mercury had a 220 grinding stone as well. My wife has suggested setting it up so you don't have to change belts. Do they have diamond belts ? What about the discs ? THX

Slabbercabber

Re: Questions on Polisher Set Up
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 04:57:46 AM »

You can buy neoprene backed diamond belts cheap from Han's lapidary.  In my experience they outlast far more expensive belts with cloth backing.  They are also stiff enough to put a 3" belt on a 2" wheel.  I set up my shop with an 80-100 sintered wheel then a 400 plated wheel.  After that are three more arbors with progressively finer diamond belts running from 100 to 15,000 grit.  That eliminates belt changing entirely.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Questions on Polisher Set Up
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 01:05:57 PM »

For the end of the arbor you can usually use sin ons. 1200 grit pad without rubber backing is a very efficient use of one end. After the pad is broken in it does wonders getting a prepolish on problem stone. One grit coarse if you have a second spin on placement. Spritz bottle is all the water you need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 31 queries.