Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watch Dials: Super Thin and Precise Cuts?  (Read 1921 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Watch Dials: Super Thin and Precise Cuts?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2020, 11:08:40 PM »

True, If you can back it first before lapping to thickness that will help.

dpn

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2020, 12:10:53 PM »

A couple of quick updates:

The Buehler is an amazing machine. Unfortunately, I'm actually using a Buehler Low RPM precision cutter instead of a Buehler IsoMet 1000. The 15HC blade I'm using is 4". Combined, this has meant that I haven't been able to cut perfectly flat and adequately thin dial veneers *in one cut*. Because I've had to reposition to complete my cuts, I've had issues with flatness and thickness.

I have a 5" Buehler 15HC blade on the way, and I believe that the extra working room will allow me to cut perfectly flat (and thinner) fordite veneers in one cut. If this blade is insufficient, I will be buying a used Buehler IsoMet 1000 myself instead of just using my friend's equipment.

Here is a video of the Buehler in action: https://youtu.be/rWUV9SNuA90

Here is a shot of the Buehler in action:

I've completed one "proof of concept" dial with a flawed piece of fordite. As a photo, it's not much to look at and I'm not comfortable sharing it. As proof of concept showing a watch with a fordite dial, I'm incredibly proud of it -- my overall process is sound, and the next steps I need to refine the process and get to saleable final pieces I'm proud of are clear.

I'm getting close enough to feel really optimistic. But for two pieces of luck (finding 0.2mm half height brass dials and have a friend with a Buehler), this project wouldn't have gotten far at all.

Felicia

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2020, 11:00:16 AM »

Thanks for the picture. Always curious about the equipment.

dpn

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2020, 02:31:50 PM »

The Buehler IsoMet "Low Speed" precision cutter is a really cool piece of equipment. It's intentionally crippled by only being able to cut smaller samples. It's also $5,700! In the picture you can see my partial workaround -- hot glue -- as the chucks I had available were too small to accommodate the 29.5mm diameter fordite core.

It was really cool to watch it in action, though. It's a great design -- the gravity feed allows for very minute adjustments, and I can see that it really excels at what it's marketed for: Delicate sectioning of fragile materials with the lowest possible risk of deformation.

I'm really hoping that the $500 5" blade I bought will fix the issue, and let me complete thinner cuts in one pass. If that doesn't work, I'll have to pick up a used Buehler IsoMet 1000.

Felicia

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2020, 09:25:49 PM »

Ooh. $500 blade.😱

dpn

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2020, 08:11:33 AM »

Quick update: I bought my own Buehler IsoMet 1000. It's currently not functional, but I'm sending it in for repair. Even if the repair is expensive, I'll still be coming in at a far lower purchase price than a new unit.

I've had difficulty scheduling time with the Buehler IsoMet Low Speed sectioner, so no other progress to report.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 37 queries.