Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: polishing larger specimen faces  (Read 836 times)

55fossil

Re: polishing larger specimen faces
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 10:04:30 AM »

2 things to mention:  I have a Covington 2 wheel expando unit, 8 inch wet. It is wonderful but can be confining on large cabs and especially large flats.

I did some searchs on here using Silicon carbide belts, and such. I came up with tons of information on what to use, wet or dry and various machines. This one looked really helpful:  http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php?topic=2877.msg22287#msg22287   
    Try reading a few things you find on the search here and you will have more questions and more answers. I learned so much here on basics about polishing jade and then refined my techniques. I could not have done without the info from searches and getting answers to my questions on the forum.

montanajohn

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 08:03:45 AM »

That was helpful thank you 55.  Vince, I bought a couple of Richardson's polish heads with elk hide and put one or the other ( alumina or cerium) on a countershaft with large pulley and an old electric motor to drive the belt.  Maybe saved some money..

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 05:21:20 PM »

Good deal. Did you buy the heads from Richardson's?

Didn't see that option when I looked on their website, but thought they used to offer them on there. Didn't contact them 'cuz I had just made a knock-off head here.

montanajohn

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 05:24:31 AM »

Yes they did come from richardsons, can't recall details now as it's been a few years.  Parts probably
I sent some money to Kingsley yesterday for a covington 4 drum, anyway I'm hearing that the expanding drums and diamond paper might be the best route.  Looking for easiest and quickest but I don't suppose any rock gets done by itself.
Thanks for your advice
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 33 queries.